3 Furrow Reversable flick Plough

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fixersteve
True Blue

3 Furrow Reversable flick Plough

Post by Fixersteve »

So my question is, I know my NP Super will pull a 3 Furrow conventional and pick it up no problem. How would she cope with a 3 Furrow Reversable flick plough?? Im guessing its just the extra weight of the 3 furrows that will cause a problem?? Anyone tried pulling one??

Pavel
True Blue

Re: 3 Furrow Reversable flick Plough

Post by Pavel »

One of the many good points about the Super M are the strong chassis rails which relieves weight stresses on the engine/gearbox/transmission coupling bolts. However, added weights were needed on the front end when using a 6 bodied Ransom reversible [it's not nice having to steer by using the split brake pedals]. Turning on the headland was also hairy at any speed approaching that of walking because of the implement's swing. In use the main problem was setting the plough up so that its added weight did not cause it to have a tendency to want to bury itself. This is achieved by ensuring that the rear landside leaves a definite, but not deep, groove in the furrow bottom allowing just enough point suction for good depth control. By far the best control was found when equipping it with a rear furrow wheel.

Pavel

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi.

A bit of weight on the front end and it you will be fine :wink:
Mark

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Steve

A couple of photos of my friend pulling a Ransomes 3 furrow with a NP Super. In my very limited experience a three furrow plough behind the Major is a tough option in heavy land - I got a fair amount of scrabbing with a two furrow reversible on a particularly hard and heavy field, but to be fair I didn't have my front weights on at the time. As Brian points out on this site, they make one heck of a difference and are far more effective than rear wheel weights. Archie has four 1000 series on the front here (cheaper and easier to find than Enfo weights). He made a bracket up to carry them. It was such a good design that I copied it! :lol: With a three furrow reversible I'd go for more than the four weights - six would be ideal if you can lay your hands on them. With the front well and truly pulled down, and the plough in the ground at the rear, the drive wheels are pulled into traction.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

With the front of the tractor pulled down, the draft control also gets to work properly, raising and lowering the plough as necessary, and not the nose of the tractor, which kept happening to me until I got my front weights.

Best

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Hang on, that NP Super has rear rims from a 4000,isn't it? So, that means it has "38" rims :D

Out there, in England, you can see fordsons with rear rims from a 4000. Here, in the Philippines, you can see a 4000 with fordson "38" rims!!!! :lol:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Here's a photo of my NP Super with Ransomes TSR 102 attacched. As you can see, the front end looks a little light even with the wheel weights fitted. She reared up on the heavy land that I went off to plough, especially when I came to the wheel tracks of the combine harvester, where the soil was very compacted. The rearing up was caused by the draft control trying to lift the plough, but because it was too light the front end came up instead. The front weights solved this problem. I discovered this vital piece of info from this site - Brian explains the principle behind front weights in a separate thread. Well worth a read.

Best

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi adrian
is that a manual trip on the 3 fr ? did the bodies clean up ?

I have a 2 fr reversible manual trip , S K H I think ,
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Tom

I took the photos of Archie's plough about three years ago, so I can't remember if it is a manual trip or hydraulic. Is it possible to trip a three furrow manually? I'm no expert on ploughs, I'm afraid. :scratchhead:

I'm sure the bodies must have shined up. They do still look very rusty in the photos, don't they?

Best

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

i;ve not used my 2 fr, r. as much as i'd like to , but the trip mechanism did seem unreliable (at best ) talking to farmers they were happy when hydro came along :beer:

u pull a lever to trip mine when its raised on the headland turn , it seems , if there was trash /weight on the bottom set then it may not fully trip over / lock
so u have to jump off and manually turn the plough , prob fine the odd time but if its every run :buddies:

as I say not used mine enough to really comment , but its on my list .
mine has knives so that aint gonna help to keep the trash off.
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.