Hydraulics for a post knocker attachment

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
MBeattie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulics for a post knocker attachment

Post by MBeattie »

Hi, excuse me if I am being a little thick here, but I have quite a bit of fencing to do, so thought about buying a post knocker to drive in the fence posts. Then I started to think how the hydraulics would connect to operate the raising of the post knocker weight ? On my Major I only have the standard auxiliary connection that runs off the control valve that operates the lift arms, which would not work for a post knocker ? So how can I attach a post knocker ?
Thanks, Mark.

chriss
True Blue

Re: Hydraulics for a post knocker attachment

Post by chriss »

I did try this on rusty put extra spool valve on and used a parmiter post knocker with new ram on but every time it lifted the weight the relief valve opened yet with a set of forks on the back it will pick up nearly 1 ton

MBeattie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MBeattie »

Do you know where I can get a spool valve ?
Thanks, Mark.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

come up on ebay from time to time, rusty is a 55 major and ImageI don't think hydraulics suit a post knocker I ended up with a petrol borer and manual rammer

greenow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greenow »

just a idea whould it not work to put a seperate spool block on the rammer,
then connect a feed from the major and dump it back in the top cover.
if this did work you chould also ad rams in the rammer instead of topkinks ie for the tilt.
only a idea might not be any good???????????? good luck

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi hope this is some help you will need an external remote either single or double acting rig up something to hold it on the linkage will probly sag and between posts you will probly have to turn off the external they usually turn off the oil to the linkage while in use . the post driver as we call them here will have its own control valve and will require a free flowing return in this case the diff filler hole the tractor should drive it i have had one off the blue ones a stevlon since 83 on a 3000 which has similar pump capacity but its slow not real good on the auger which we have to use hear. Currant tractor has double the pump capacity and is ok often as an option the stevlon and the Monro the yellow one have a PTO pump which solves most problems but its then starting to cost real money. another option would be to use something like the red one a cable driver need a bit a bit more care and skill to use and matinace on the cable and latches but ok i know people with all of them that have been hit get in to the habit with any piece of timber any time to never hold it by the end good luck bImage Image Image Image
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

MBeattie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MBeattie »

Thanks for the feedback. I have found that you can get post knockers with a hydraulic pump that's driven from the tractor PTO. This seems to be the solution, so will look into getting one of those.
Thanks, Mark.

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

hi how did you get on with that post knocker i have same on and i am trying to get it to work on my dexta, would be intresing to know how you got on

spike