Jump Starting

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ambidextarous
True Blue

Jump Starting

Post by Ambidextarous »

How can you jump start a tractor with a positive earth from a modern vehicle with negative earth? I've been using my Major stationary for some jobs and i've made sure there were enough revs to keep the battery charged but every once in a while there's not quite enough juice to start her up, she just turns over a bit slow.About half an hour on the charger off the tractor is enough to fire her straight up when re connected.Is it a matter of crossing the leads over when jumping or can it just not be done?

peter2
True Blue

Re: Jump Starting

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

just as normal. Plus to plus and earth to earth at the battery. As long as the vehicles don't touch each other somewhere there should be no problem. The battery of the tractor does not know whether it's a charger or another car that delivers power.

Peter
1963 Super Major

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

A good reason to convert to an alternator.

Pavel

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

Thanks very much chaps, much appreciated. :beer:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

My original generator/ dyno has no problem keeping the battery charged on my PM. I did replace the wiring harness, gages, and regulator back when I refurbished her. As long as it works, and spares are avalible, I will keep it original. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major