Pickup hitch

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Pickup hitch

Post by Daves rusty bits »

For 4 years I`ve wondered what the lever by my PM brake pedals was for. My friend Jeff offered me his pickup hitch as he doesn`t use it, only thing missing was the release lever near the brake pedals. Bingo ! I`d already got the lever, the long bolts through the tops of the lift arms and a cutout section of the pto guard replaced with weldmesh - to sight the hitch / trailer from the driver`s seat. The major must have had a pickup hitch which was replaced with a drawbar before I bought it.
So thats solved that mystery but can anyone tell me what the small upright arm between the pto shaft and the lift chain does? There should be one each side but the left one is broken off. Did it hold a guide for the chain?

ImageImageImage
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Mjg1705
True Blue

Re: Pickup hitch

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi - yes there should be one each side - they are there to hold the small bar at the end of the chain when it's not connected to the chain - there is a picture on the Internet if you search major pick up hitch -
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Hi, you are supposed to disconnect the drop arms from the lower link arms, lower link arms should fold up out the way and attach to top cover with small chains. The drop arms then connect to the pick up hitch links (when not in use these connect to the ears each side of the hitch for stowage). Not very convenient if swapping regularly between 3pt hitch and PUH hence the super major pick up hitch was made more user friendly. Release pedal should be a small cast item. Will post some pics when I get time.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Thanks for the answers. As I use a logsplitter on the 3PL and need to move a trailer regularly I won`t be disconecting the link arms unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
The pickup hitch will certainly save a lot of messing about with bits of chain and sleeper as the trailer jack died years ago. Every time I lifted the trailer like that I thought "I ought to know better than this" but kept doing it, an accident waiting to happen but not any more!.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.