Camshaft Bearings Technical Information

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Camshaft Bearings Technical Information

Post by jan »

Hi all
now here is what i found in the www about the cam bearings for the 4 and 6 zyl.
engines (589e/590e/591e/592e)

The company: http://www.acl.com.au

and the technical information

Camshaft Bearing Set 5C5757
Oversize STD
Brand ACL
Manufacturer ACL
Camshaft Bearing (c) 5756
- 1 (means the front bearing)
Manufacturer ACL
Min Std Shaft Size 2.0595in / 52.311mm
Max Std Shaft Size 2.0600in / 52.324mm
Min Std Tunnel Size 2.1880in / 55.575mm
Max Std Tunnel Size 2.1890in / 55.601mm
Max Wall At Crown 0.0635in / 1.613mm
Max Overall Length 1.0551in / 26.8mm
Min Vertical Oil Clearance 0.0010in / 0.025mm
Max Vertical Oil Clearance 0.0045in / 0.114mm
Material F23
Camshaft Bearing (c) 5757
- 2-7 (means the other 4 or 6 bearings)
Manufacturer ACL
Min Std Shaft Size 2.0595in / 52.311mm
Max Std Shaft Size 2.0600in / 52.324mm
Min Std Tunnel Size 2.1880in / 55.575mm
Max Std Tunnel Size 2.1890in / 55.601mm
Max Wall At Crown 0.0635in / 1.613mm
Max Overall Length 0.9500in / 24.13mm
Min Vertical Oil Clearance 0.0010in / 0.025mm
Max Vertical Oil Clearance 0.0045in / 0.114mm
Material F23

i hope that this info will help if there is a problem with the bearings
cnh is not able to deliver the bearings(why???)

mbg jan
(excuse my not so good english)

1962 model
True Blue

Re: Camshaft Bearings Technical Information

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you for all those specifications, my camshaft is 3.060 as indicated as the maximum camshaft size, so all is great there, I have ordered some standard bearings for mine, though .010 undersize ones are also available for worn cams.

Mike1962 model
True Blue

Private message

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

1962 model wrote:Thank you for all those specifications, my camshaft is 3.060 as indicated as the maximum camshaft size, so all is great there, I have ordered some standard bearings for mine, though .010 undersize ones are also available for worn cams.

Mike1962 model
True Blue

Private message
Hi Mike
Did you order from these guys in the post above :?: I just looked at their site and checked out 590e crank bearings and see they have way bigger than 40 thou bearings, my crank needs work and bigger than 40's, unless it is welded and ground stock again :!:
I was wondering what they are like to deal with and what the prices are like, before i contact them :idea: .
Thanks for your time :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Robert,
I have just had notification that my bearings have arrived, I think the price was about $I50 Australian, I will go to town and get them this morning.
I would be cautious about welding a crank, unless you ment metal spraying, even this can have issues if not bonded correctly.

If I were you I would look for a company which does hard chroming, I believe this is an established method of dealing with problems like yours, and gives a nice hard wear resistant surface too.

You may have to find a company which services the mining companies which are used to dealing with reclaiming practices.

I don't know what you mean by bearings bigger than 040, ( I suspect you mean smaller ), if your crank is not too severely worn you might be lucky and save the crank without further expense if 060 bearings are available, but the crank I have here is so severely worn I don't think it would be salvagable at 080 undersize. ( do not get your bearings until you have new machined journal size, just make sure they are availabe before machining )

Please also remember two things 1. there is usually either an issue with water in the oil or Diesel in the oil from the bleed off line which causes the cranks to wear badly, ( or both ) and 2. most engines ( not just Ford ) have issues with the main bearing tunnels ( where the bearing fit ), being streatched out of shape, which gives far too much bearing clearance.
You need to check this size before you get to the final stage of fitting your bearings and crank, as it is too late to do this in the middle of a rebuild.
Without looking it up main bearings should have from 001 to 004 bearing clearance to crank, however this will never be the case, and most if not all should have the main bearing caps machined to give original specifications.Most engines will run at 006 to 008 bearing clearance but will have a reduced life and low oil pressure.

Measuring the cap bores may well only show 002 streach, hower this is a circumference issue and does not produce an extra 002 bearing clearance but multiplies to more like 006, which of course is normally outside specifications.

One more thing many people assume that if the specification gives a clearance of between 001 and 004 then 004 would be perfectly acceptable for a new engine build, however as a first class machinist I can confidently say that this is not the case the 004 maximum ( only an example ) is for a worn engine in-situ repair and that a new complete rebuild should strive to be as close as possible to the 001 minimum ( I have not looked at the Fordson specs )

Jan, the bearings for both the 4cyl and 6cyl can be obtained from the Poland distributer which is closer to you in Germany, contact,
Shemek Wisniewski <shemek.wisniewski@gmail.com> for your requirements.

Mike

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply :) Those bearings don't sound to bad and I think our Canadian dollar and yours are pretty close.
This is not my first Rodeo building motors so pretty well got everything figured out with metal spraying and stuff from research :wink:
Im kinda reluctant and having a hard time finding something in Canada to do it anyway :!: . Got a couple leads in the states. That's why I was looking into the bearings :idea:. They go from std to about 80 thou from what the site said last night :) .

Hopefully my machine shop guy would do the grind and 60 thou might do it. providing shells actually do exist :
The hardness has already gone at 30 thou from what my guy said with dealing with Major cranks for 40 years, hence my problem now :eyes: .
I got that hardness issue to deal with unless it won't hurt, as this thing won't run more than a few hour a year, so going to ask what machine shop think, Guys very honest and trained his staff the same that's why I use him :) . The tractors only a show piece now so he might say it will be ok like that :| .

My only other options are a world wide search for a regrind-able or good used, or I found a website in India with new ones listed. I guess they still use these old truck motors out there. So thats my last long shot if everything else fails :!:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello again Robert,
The cranks in the next model ( K series Trader ) seem the same too, ( same flywheel ) would need to check first though.
I think the D series will have changed cranks by that stage, I suppose you have looked at this option as there are plenty of old ones of those around, if you know where to look.
I may have a spare crank here but again postage would likely be the issue, and if you can get away with regrinding yours you might be as well doing that.
I have seen reground steel cranks in other makes wear very badly and had thought that they originally must have been surface hardened, later on this make went to cast nodular Iron cranks with a much more durable life, and sucessful regrinds.

Steel cranks ( like yours ) can be hardened through different processes, but I don't know who would do this ( sorry ) one process is called nitriding, this makes cranks very wear resistent, but I don't know the details.
I think the hardening has to be done before regrinding, or after a rough grind close to the intended size.
I have heard of pakerizing too but have no idea what that is.
I have rebuilt engines with hardened cranks and even after 100,000 miles they did not require a regrind, but as you said yours won't be doing much other than displays.

Mike