standard major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
markmccann
Not Quite Blue Yet

standard major

Post by markmccann »

I started the major for the first time in 14 years.when I engaged the pto lever and let the clutch out there was a drive came on the engine and pto wouldn't turn and the lever won't disengage now.I tried a short tow but the rear wheels are turning in opposite directions.any one have any ideas?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: standard major

Post by Dandy Dave »

Something is seizing in the drive line or trans. Are you sure there was oil in the Transmission/Gearbox. Try turning the PTO from the rear by hand with a PTO shaft knucled at 90 degrees and see if you cannot get the pressure off of it and get the lever to release. Sounds like you most likely will need a teardown to find the fault. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

markmccann
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by markmccann »

Yes the oil levels are ok.thanks for the help.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

A bit of detective work required here. :scratchhead: Just to be clear, you started the engine, depressed the clutch, engaged the PTO lever and then let the clutch out. If that's correct so far, what happened next? Did the engine stall when you let the clutch out, or did it continue running?

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Not enough info yet, but I'm wondering if the cast iron lugs holding the sliding gear have snapped. Never seen this before but have heard of it. Hard to imagine anything else breaking.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Snapps like this, live pto major -58... Pieces were between the gears.
:roll:
The pto clutch was adjusted wrong.
Last edited by Major Mike on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Are you sure you engage the pto and not disengage?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

markmccann
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by markmccann »

Got it freed up with a knuckled pto shaft.all is working now.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

So my little trick worked better than expected. Glad to hear all is well. :D Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

markmccann
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by markmccann »

Who do you recomend to buy all new tin work for her from?have you had any dealings with agriline?th
anks for you help by the way..

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I helped a friend a number of years ago with a narrow Front N. The motor would only go part way with the clutch out and lock up. I got under the transmission and remember looking though a cover and seeing rust built up on a lower gear. I got it in a position that I could knock the built up rust off with a hammer and chisel and after that, it turned fine. This tractor sat for many years with water in the transmission. Could be you had a similar situation but not as bad.

I have not bought any sheet metal from Agriline. I have bought other parts and they do ship quickly even to the USA. The stuff I have bought has been electrical and mechanical and is OK. I have has some problem with the tack gage/ drive like everyone else with an after market unit no matter where it came from. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major