major bodywork

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
markmccann
Not Quite Blue Yet

major bodywork

Post by markmccann »

I was thinking of ordering all my new tin work for the major from agriline I need nose cone grill and mudguards and foot steps.I was wondering if it's good quality to be using?

Mjg1705
True Blue

Re: major bodywork

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi - simple answer is sorta dependant on quality of Finnish to your tractor - if it was a full through restoration - then I would not touch the a******e tin work ! I have had no good experience with it on any makes - mainly bonnet and nose cone on a major don't always line up - leaves gaps - and the rear wings I think bow in - so don't sit upright on the axle - but footplates are ok - generally same regardless of repro seller - but your budget will be a factor also - but I'd you want good quality that's spot on - but don't mind paying a little bit extra - the pocock tractor supplies in Dorset are the ones - but the sparex and others repro makers are also generally ok - but choice is yours - hope this helps - :beer: and also !!! ---- :needpics:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,
Mjg1705 wrote:the rear wings I think bow in - so don't sit upright on the axle

like this? This are the original wings.

Peter
1963 Super Major

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi Peter - yeh similar but more - on mates super it was that bad that he fabricated rubber wedges to stick under the wings to bring them up a bit - i think another one of the originality arguments is brewing :shock: but I'm happy with something in the middle ! :D
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

A year or two ago I bought a pair from them for my Super Four, luckily I fitted them before I painted them as they were bowed in severely and the bolt holes were located wrong. I cut the bracing loose on the bottom mount, bent them straight and rewelded them. I did complain to Tom about it and he told me the problem had been addressed with his vendor, but I haven’t purchased a set since. And I have to admit they were built fairly well, good heavy solid fenders, not thin and flimsy.
I haven’t purchased any bonnets or nosecones from them.
I would also recommend blasting all the paint off first, when I applied primer and filler the base coat wrinkled and started to lift.
It’s the simple fact of getting what you pay for, if you’re buying the cheapest parts you can find, chances are they won’t be as good as original.

Peter, is that your Super Major?

Pat

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Pat,
BearCreek Majors wrote:Peter, is that your Super Major?
Yep. Without linkage at that time, now it's on.

Peter
1963 Super Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Peter, thats a nice looking tractor you got there!

Pat

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Pat,
thanks. It's no showroom painting but it's ok for the moment. Enough for nice pictures. :D
Peter
1963 Super Major