Pushrods

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Pushrods

Post by drz400 »

Hello thanks for the help on last post :beer: all good .

Does anyone now were I can get a couple of push rods from? A couple of mine are bent.

Thanks 8)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Pushrods

Post by Brian »

Charles Atkin at Atkin Farm Machinery, East Dereham might be able to help or Malcolm Hipperson nr Downham Market. Be careful, depending on your Major there are two lengths.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

There is an ongoing discussion in the finnish fordson forum about why pushrods has been bent every now and then on Majors. Some blame the decomp to be the reason and other stuck valves. What are your opinion on the subject?

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Have straightened bent pushrods several times using a hammer and/or a vice, as rule they are not hard to straighten .

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah. you can straighten them, But the problem is that they have already been compromised by being bent and will not be as strong. Sometimes they will work for years, Sometimes not. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by drz400 »

How bent is too bent to straighten?

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Thats not bent it's straighter than some government members are here in Canada right now :eyes: :run:.
Honestly I think that's probably only fit for scrap. I've seen them with a slight curve or bent and snapped. but never seen one looking quite like that :eyes: . what ever caused that needs figuring out. Does this motor have a de compressor lever on the rocker shaft buy any chance :?:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Bloody hell!! Ive never seen pushrods that bent before. I had two slightly bent on my major, and i mean about 4mm, which I straightened on the lathe with a brass hammer which have been fine so far.

Decent second hand ones do come up on ebay every now and then :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

How come is it as soon as I scrap all my redundant engine spares ! So people need them - I had loads of pushrods - but nobody wanted them ! - now everyone seems to be neededing a spare few ! :curse: - wish I could help out - simple way is to ask the obvios people /breakers :D
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

If you can’t easily find a replacement I’d say straighten it out, you can always replace it later. Make sure you find and fix the problem that caused it, I would assume a stuck valve. These engines aren’t exactly high performance, that single valve spring can actually be somewhat compressed by hand, even if the pushrod was not exactly straight you would probably never have a problem unless there are issues with the valve train.
When I was a kid the neighbor had a Farmall H that had a pushrod that looked that bad if not worse, I beat it straight with a hammer on the bench, stuck it back in, we ran it the entire summer pulling wagons with no issues.

Pat

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

fair play that is well bent! :shock: Mine had a slight bend in mine when i rebuilt my ford mechanic said he has strightened them no end of times and they have gone on to work fine after :lol: just goes to show how durable these things are haha
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by drz400 »

The reason why its bent is because someone started it on easy start and it reved out of control until valves hit pistons. destroyed the head smashed one piston. :cry: So bought a engine rebuild kit and a second hand head. Nearly ready to start just need some help look at my other post (torque settings) please help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------