Engine Front Mounting Plate

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kjetil
True Blue

Engine Front Mounting Plate

Post by Kjetil »

Hi

The Part List shows four different Engine Front Mounting Plate

The plate named EIADDN-6030-A was introduced in april 1961 with serial nr. 1599502. This was a Super Major, and is the one I am looking for.

Anyone knows the differece between this plate and the others?

Two of them have 2.58" dia. apperture, and the other two has 2". I belive thats apperture is the big hole.

So then it is only the difference between EIADDN-6030-A and B

Regards kjetil

nzMark
True Blue

Re: Engine Front Mounting Plate

Post by nzMark »

hi, I am guessing that the "B" will have the relief valve hole while the "A" will not.
Maybe you will be able to have this verified by others shortly. :idea: :)

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Good Evening

My understanding of this problem of 4 different front mounting plates is as follows. (I am sure someone will chime in if I am wrong!). The change at Engine No 1599502 was the fitting of a new type camshaft with a single bolt fixing for the camshaft gears, rather than a 3 bolt fixing. At the same time, the camshaft end float control "system" was changed from a horseshoe shaped thrust washer to thrust being taken directly onto a machined (and hardened?) face on the front mounting plate. You should have a single bolt fixing camshaft, requiring no thrust washer, which requires the front mounting plate with the appropriate machined camshaft aperture.

I also found when trying to assemble my NP Super Major a few years ago, that the heap of engine bits that were handed over (the tractor had been "Stripped for restoration" by the previous owner) included timing gears of 3 different widths, but not a complete set of one type!

Hope this is some help

Tim

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Hi, and a late reply

Tim, I think your description is correct.

I have finally talked to someone who is about to sell me a front plate.
Is the hardened part of the front plate visible?

I need a front plate for the latest model engine on the Super Major

Thanks

Regards Kjetil

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

I have sorted out that the aperture means the hole for the camshaft.
As nzMark says, the "B" will have the relief valve hole.

So it seems that the "A" and "B" is identical, except "B" has the additional relief valve hole.

Anybody knows were that hole is located on the front plate?

Kjetil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/pics/ ... aul_18.jpg

You can see the oil pressure valve in this picture.

Other differences in the plates, the "B" type did not have locating dowels for the front plate, should not make any difference as you may never come across one unless its on a very early Major. The "B" type is the one wiith the reliaf valve.

The New Performance front plate has bigger stud holes as the retaining studs were increased in size.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

Does anyone know if the holes for the generator (two of number one in the pic) are moved a bit for example between mark2 and mark3 engines? A friend told he suprisingly got misalignment between the holes in the engine (old block) and frontplate when changing generator and brackets.
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, they are in the same place on all blocks.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian