Jumped out of gear & gearstick gone floppy :-(

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Jumped out of gear & gearstick gone floppy :-(

Post by mark_c »

Going up a hill in 6th, engine starts to strain a bit, then it pops out of gear & the gearstick goes floppy & does nothing. Managed to get it into 1st/3rd, or maybe the gear slotted in by itself because the stick really does nothing, so I got it home s-l-o-w-l-y which saved calling someone for a tow.

Any idea what could have broken? My first thought is to unbolt the plate at the bottom on the gearstick & have a look...

whirly
True Blue

Re: Jumped out of gear & gearstick gone floppy :-(

Post by whirly »

mark_c wrote:... My first thought is to unbolt the plate at the bottom on the gearstick & have a look...
That would be mine also. There isn't anything that is going to fall/drop/spring out so the only issue is the gasket. You may find the cone on top of the ball on the end of the gear shift has broken. That's what made mine go "floppy". However, it doesn't really explain why it jumped out of gear.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Maybe it was getting ready to break and was not fully engaged. That will make a tranny pop out. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark_c »

Thanks guys.

Turns out the end of the main gear lever had come out of the socket on the rail that moves the selector forks. Re-inserted & it all works again :D

Is there any retaining device on the end of the gear lever that is supposed to hold it in the socket?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The problem could be wear in the gear lever locating pin on the side of the housing, also the groove it fits in could also be worn. I had to build up the one on Henrietta some couple of years ago. I also extended the bottom of the gear lever with weld.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

I'm glad i saw this topic as my Major's been doing this a while. Jumped out five times in one day the other week.I'll get the welder out.

mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark_c »

Right, I'll take the gear lever housing off again & see if there's any play in the parts that retain the gear lever in the housing (don't think so - it's fairly stiff).

I can see how the end of the lever must get worn down (after 60 years!). A blob of grease on the end of it seems like a good idea.

Will avoid labouring the engine & hopefully it won't pop out again...

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

There is a little pin that is on the side of the shifter housing. Fits in a slot on the side of the shifter ball. I had to take a small punch and put mine back in. Has been fine for a number of years now. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major