My '57 FMD

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matt85
Not Quite Blue Yet

My '57 FMD

Post by Matt85 »

Hi, I forgot to tell everybody that a month or so ago I picked up a '57 a little bit above scrap price. It came with 18.4x30 rear tires and remote hydraulics. It needs some work like new wires/lights, generator hooked back up, oil/filters changed, etc. So far I rebuilt the starter & fuel pump, got a new battery and cables/grounding strap(It turns over fast now), drained the old fuel, put in fresh fuel and an new filter, fixed leaking freeze plug. I got alot left to do. But I still didn't solve the white smoke yet. Anyway here's some pics

When I went to pick it up I saw this little gem sitting by it.
The guy said it was whole but didn't know if it ran. I took a quick look and all the parts where there but the front drive shaft was disconnected. The guy said his son picked up two of them and was going to sell them. I can give the number if anybody wants it.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: My '57 FMD

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Yes!!! I need a hood for my Super Six.
Looks like you picked up a nice little project there, they will smoke a lot if the engine isn’t up to temp, check that the thermostat is working and it is getting up somewhere around 180°.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

If the County's were at Biewer's I think they are already in Canada.

Pat

Matt85
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Matt85 »

Yeah, biewers was the place. Its a shame they were sold. I wanted to take a better look when I got over there. About the white smoke. When you give it throttle it blows an cloud of white smoke. I forgot to mention it came with a full set of rear weights.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Make sure the smoke doesn’t have the odor of antifreeze to it, but I would start with checking the operating temp, if that’s good and it actually seems to be running fairly good dump some ATF in the fuel and take her out and work it. The ATF is a high detergent and will help to clean out the injectors and pump, and the rings may be hanging up in the pistons, again a good workout will usually fix this.

Pat

Matt85
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Matt85 »

The smoke doesn't smell like coolant. When I get a chance I'll check the thermostat/tempature and add some ATF to the fuel.