How does the fuel tank reserve work?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

How does the fuel tank reserve work?

Post by mark_c »

Reading the owners manual, 2 turns out on the fuel tap gets you most of the tank then, when the engine conks out, you undo it all the way to access the reserve fuel & fill-up at the next opportunity.

Does anyone use the tank in this way? I think that's what they intended. Like on my motorbike. The manual warns of running the tank dry (air in the lines) but it doesn't say much about the reserve so I just wanted to check that it was OK to do this (I'm worried about air in the lines!!).

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: How does the fuel tank reserve work?

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mark
If you use the main part of the tank(ie 2 turns out) and you get down to where the level gets down, it will run out and get air in the fuel system. You will then need to wind the fuel tap out to get the reserve fuel, bleed the system and then drive to put more fuel in, before changing back to the main part of the tank. The reserve is not very large so is not intended for you to be able finish the paddock etc.
Running your fuel low obviously can pick up more rubbish in the fuel and cause blockages.
Keeping your tank full will help reduce condensation in your tank.
Always try to run your tractor on the main part of the tank, and only use reserve for when you need it.

I have some paddocks where I have to keep the tank atleast half full, cause when I'm on the hillsides, the level will go below the fuel pickup and then run out.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

mark_c wrote:Reading the owners manual, 2 turns out on the fuel tap gets you most of the tank then, when the engine conks out, you undo it all the way to access the reserve fuel & fill-up at the next opportunity.

Does anyone use the tank in this way? I think that's what they intended. Like on my motorbike. The manual warns of running the tank dry (air in the lines) but it doesn't say much about the reserve so I just wanted to check that it was OK to do this (I'm worried about air in the lines!!).

Hi
kev is probably gonna be right with the blockage part :idea: , after 50 or 60 years of guys adding fuel from dirty cans or storage tanks, Unless you have removed and cleaned the tank right out. You could find an inch or more of pure crap in the bottom of the tank :!: .
By undoing the tap to use reserve might make this stuff go up the fuel line causing blockages/ plug the filter, and defeat the object of trying to use it :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark_c »

Thanks guys, good advice. I'll forget the reserve then & not let it run low :beer:

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I was reading this post and wanted to know if you are talking about the fuel tap on the bottom of the fuel tank? Seems like mine on my Power Major is on the very lowest spot of the fuel tank and I don't understand how it makes a difference on how may turns on the tap can create a reserve in the tank. I would think the more you open the tap just allows more of an opening in the tap for the fuel to flow through like the faucet on your sink, the more you open it the more water comes out. I do a lot of bushhogging on hills and after reading Kev's post I filled my tank up last weekend. Anyway hope all is well with all of you. Good luck on your projects.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Gman wrote:Hello to all. I was reading this post and wanted to know if you are talking about the fuel tap on the bottom of the fuel tank? Seems like mine on my Power Major is on the very lowest spot of the fuel tank and I don't understand how it makes a difference on how may turns on the tap can create a reserve in the tank. I would think the more you open the tap just allows more of an opening in the tap for the fuel to flow through like the faucet on your sink, the more you open it the more water comes out. I do a lot of bushhogging on hills and after reading Kev's post I filled my tank up last weekend. Anyway hope all is well with all of you. Good luck on your projects.
The part of tap that is inside the tank has 2 orifices in it. 1 of these has a small pipe coming out of the orifice about 40mm. The other orifice has no pipe. When the tap is screwed in the tank, the orifice with the pipe obviously sits 40mm higher than the other. This is the main tank. The other orifice is lower, so therefore the reserve tank. These 2 orifices should have a filter over them.
Hope this helps
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Kev. I know I have the tap fully open. I take it that just means she will run until empty?I emptied the tank a few years back when all on here helped me get her back up and running, filter on top of tap was in great shape. I hope to retire next year :D and get back to working on her more. I need to do the brakes, never have had brakes when in reverse :shock: and I bought her 30 years ago, always very aware of this since most of my work is on a hill. I have done some paint work on her to try and get rust under control. So next year you may see me posting more, asking for help.
Again thanks for the input.
Gman: 1959 Power Major