HELP =Major-Steering Shaft Nut Assy

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Bjarn
Not Quite Blue Yet

HELP =Major-Steering Shaft Nut Assy

Post by Bjarn »

I have a Fordson Major. My Steering Shaft Nut Assembly failed today and I need the tractor back in service. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy just the Steering Shaft Nut Assembly by itself. Mine is mess up but the shaft is fine. Also where I can find the steering gear shims for the Major. I have looked though all the parts cat. and they don't seem to sell them separately.
...I live in BC, Canada if that makes any difference.
Thanks
Bjarn

Bjarn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: HELP =Major-Steering Shaft Nut Assy

Post by Bjarn »

I might have placed this post in the wrong area as it is a Power Major...but I believe they have the same steering gear box

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Bjarn wrote:I might have placed this post in the wrong area as it is a Power Major...but I believe they have the same steering gear box
Bjarn
No worries. I have moved the post for you.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

There are several online vendors that sell these, Dunlop tractor spares, Agriline products, etc.

Pat

origin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by origin »

Give Donald a call at British Tractor Wreckers in Unity Sk, he wrecks a bunch of majors, so he should be able to get what you are looking for

British Tractor Wreckers
Donald Parkinson
Box 1467
Unity, Saskatchewan, Canada
S0K 4L0

Phone: 1-306-228-3011
1962 Fordson Super Major w/ Robin FEL (6' rough cut mower)
1978 Ford LGT 165 (w/ 42" Mower, 36" Tiller, and 48" Plow)
1976 Ford LGT 165 (Parts Tractor)
1974 Ford LGT 145 (50" Mower, 42" 2 stage Blower, Sleeve Hitch, Cultivator)

Bjarn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bjarn »

Yes, but all those that I could find require that I buy the entire steering worm shaft as a unit. It seems the the previous person who rebuilt the steering box did not shim it properly and the bearings fell out of the bearing holder assembly. The damage was minor and limited to just the bearing holder. It would be an expensive, unnecessary expense to have to buy the entire steering shaft unit...

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Bjarn
I'm in Manitoba and have never seen the part you want sold separate unless a CNH ( ford new holland dealer) can get one if still available.
most of the steering boxes in the wreckers are broken beyond repair or worth a fortune if working :!: . The fail rate is pretty high here in canada :cry: .

The wreckers round us send guys to me for what they don't have for Majors, steering boxes is one common part :eyes: . I don't have any of these parts that are spare and good . only a couple of complete boxes. Sadly they are the last couple and would like to keep them for my own collections use, unless I wreck another tractor :cry: .

I re built one of those boxes once it was pretty fiddley to get back together and set right :wink: . I would just buy both parts and do it right first time. I have seen them get a chip on the worm or wear a little and then the balls jam and mangle that nut (like yours is) and the worm shaft also, then hey presto you turn the steering wheel it gets a hard spot in, it goes crunch the shaft comes up a couple inches and you got no steering as Im guessing your did :wink: .
How good are the kingpins/steering joints and thrust bearings on the front axle ,if the bearings are bad or any parts seized due to lack of grease this can over load the steering box and make it spit parts also :wink:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Bjarn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bjarn »

Thank you for your response Robert.
I agree with your logic, it is too much work taking apart and rebuilding the steering box, using suspect parts only to risk using the tractor for an hour or two and have it fail again. I have already ordered a new steering shaft from Toronto complete with the bearing holder assembly for $200.

When it fell apart the only thing I felt was that the tractor would not turn left past center, I could only turn right. It was also on one of the coldest days we had here in the South Okanagan -13C. I started the tractor for the first time in the morning (coldest) and moved only a couple of feet, when I noticed it would not turn left. I lowered my bucket and lifted the front wheels off the ground and still I could not turn the wheels left past center, turning the wheels to the right was fine. I knew right away it was the steering box and shut it down. It could be that the cold contracted the bearings to their smallest and along with the improper shim adjustment and the bearings just fell out...but then it would have been only a matter of time anyway.
I have a large industrial front-end loader mounted on the front, plus I have double 40" hay-spears mounted on the front lip of the bucket. I lift 1500lb (5x4x 8ft long) square bales of hay. If I do it right I can stack the bales 3 high (16ft high). We have a number of horses on our ranch and we go through 2 of these 1500lb bales per week, all winter. So yes, I am a bit hard on my steering and front end parts but I do grease them constantly, and to be fair the tractor has not let me down before...except at -13C and with hungry horses.

-I have one more question I am hoping you can answer. There are 2 different steering shaft sizes. 24" and 25 7/8" . They told me that the shorter one was for majors up to 1960 and the longer shafts for 1960 and newer. I don't know exactly what year mine is but I was lead to believe it was a 1957, yet it is the longer one.
How are these shafts measured? Mine measures to be about 26" from tip to tip. I ordered the 25 7/8 and I am hoping I am correct.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The lenth of the steering shaft depends on where your gages are. The longer shaft starts with the Power Major and is used through the Super Series. The gages are monted on top of the fuel tank below the steering wheel. The shorter shafts are for the older FMDs where the gages are mounted below the fuel tank. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major