Rare major valve?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Vulgunx
True Blue

Rare major valve?

Post by Vulgunx »

Found one of these for sale are they original factory fitted? are they rare in any way? and what its purpose since its far from a double acting hydraulic system
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Mjg1705
True Blue

Re: Rare major valve?

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi - I beleive they were a aftermarket option - don't know much about them - as regards to rarity - I seen one for over £250 - but have never seen one fitted to a tractor - probaly designed for people who couldn't afford the actual fordson fitted extreamly spool lever on there diesel/power major - so I would say its one of those things that if you have one or get the opportunity to own it - have one cause they can only go up in value ! That's my tricks ! :D how much was it for sale for ?!?!? :beer:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It looks like a pressure regulator of sorts. I would be willing to bet that the plug by your fingers has a spring and plunger under it. I cannot see it in the photo. All the way to the left, is this a hose connection? Adjustment? Or something else? Some tractors have a similar valve that you can regulate the drop rate of the three point hitch arms. Other wise it may be a valve that was fitted to flow fluid to a loader, or similar, that had the control valves mounted on the attachment. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by drz400 »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The valve was made for the McConnel hedge cutter to allow you to adjust the angle of the cutter head easily, hydraulically whilst at the same time locking off the hydraulic arms. As you used the hydraulic arms for setting cutter height, you lifted them to where you wanted them then opened the valve which locked the oil in the ram cylinder and transferred the tractor oil output to the ram on the cutter head of the machine.

Also was very useful in isolating the hydraulics when tipping trailers, worked a bit like the Auxiliary Service Valve on later tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Brian. Your the Man. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

That looks like my picture from a post a year or two back, I have this valve on a tractor using it to supply constant aux through a spool valve with a return to the back axle through the filler. Rear arms can be used independently with the flow out of this valve on or off. Spool valve is used for a loader on the tractor. As Brian says they were originally for use with McConnel hedgetrimmers.

gruffydd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gruffydd »

ive got one of those on a 35x was wondering what it was :)
dexta 1958
super dexta 1962
super dexta NP
super major
fordson dexta with NP backend
fordson dexta live drive