fordson major nut

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson major nut

Post by farmgrump »

hello im new to being a member (pc skills inproving )but not new to seeking information from the site and over time i have found the information very helpfull however i have come across a real headache and i am now one week into it i have searched the web every night ive been to local so called enginering companys and done no good so now i have come to you as it was one of your replies that gave me the answer to my origanll problem (no low gears )

i have just brought a 1955 fordson major the bevel gear retaing nut has fell off as has the locking washer and gear i have taken apart the gearbox filed the shaft and gear to remove the burr so they fit back together as they should luckly the threads on the shaft are fine ,so i thought
i could just order a replacement nut and locking washer and thats when my headache started i can not find either nor can i find any info on them my shaft is 1 7/8" with i think a un thread that has 16 tpi

any advise or information you could give me would be very greatfully recived

Roadless63
True Blue

Re: fordson major nut

Post by Roadless63 »

find someone breaking one may be your best bet, I have a couple of scrap skid units but not got much spare time to pull apart at the moment I'm afraid.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

i have a super box here stripped. if you can put a picture up of the part or shaft ill have a look

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D If you do not have a thread gage, just use a UNC 3/8ths bolt which is 16 TPI. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

Roadless63 wrote:find someone breaking one may be your best bet, I have a couple of scrap skid units but not got much spare time to pull apart at the moment I'm afraid.
thats the trouble i can find the gearboxs but they want to sell them as a whole units as its not worth the time and effort for such a small part i carnt belive you carnt just get a nut to fit

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

scoobyjim wrote:i have a super box here stripped. if you can put a picture up of the part or shaft ill have a look
i shall take some pics of it tommorow and work out how to put them on here thanks

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

Dandy Dave wrote:Welcome Aboard Matey. :D If you do not have a thread gage, just use a UNC 3/8ths bolt which is 16 TPI. Dandy Dave!
thanks for the welcome ive used the thread gauge and it comes up as 16 tpi un (not unc or unf ) at first without the gauge i thought it was bsf the size of the shaft 1 7/8" makes the threads look missleading i would have never thought a single nut would cause so much fuss and carnt help think how many tractors have been scrapped in the past because of this happening to them

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

[img] sorry carnt seem to get the hang of putting on pictures will get some help with that tommorow

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

To post Photos, you need to go to Photobucket (Or similar web site.) and upload what you have. Then you need to paste the direct link between the [img]........Goes....here...............[/img] Tab. The tab is in the link just above where we are writing this. Hope this helps. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

farmgrump
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmgrump »

thanks for the info on how to put up the photos i got there in the end as i will do with the nut ive sent lots of mails off but no luck yet i can get nuts this size but not with this thread

majormajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by majormajor »

hi mate ive got one, its still in the box do i need to strip box to get nut out? if you want to send me a pm i can send you my number,

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Are your threads stripped?

Ill have a look tomorrow at the box of bits.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Found the nut if you still want it.