Oil pressure problem?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil pressure problem?

Post by mark_c »

When I start from cold the gauge shoots up to 70-80 but, after a few seconds, drops to 0-20 where it stays no matter what the revs are, then drops back to below zero when I shut off the engine. Obviously I'm worries the bearings aren't being fed enough lube but maybe it's a dodgy gauge. Wishful thinking?!

TIA

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Oil pressure problem?

Post by Pavel »

As mentioned in a recent post; get the engine oil HOT. Remove the rocker cover and, at idle revs, check that oil is reaching and flowing, however lightly, from the rocker arms. You could, of course, just remove the oil filler cap; but this may not give a true enough indication.

Pavel.

[PS. Most oil pressure stops when the engine is turned off --LOL]

mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark_c »

Brilliant, thanks - nice & simple, I'll do that.

:beer:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Mark
If you're unsure about the gauge, you could attach a diagnostic gauge to the block to double check. Pavel's test doesn't lie though.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

majormajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by majormajor »

or it could be like mine its got 40lbs of oil pressure and no oil getting up to the rockers and cant work out why, any any body could help please do,

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Check the oil pressure gauge as suggested. If it checks out OK I'd take a look at the main bearings and the oil pump.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Assuming that your 40 PSI is with the oil at hot working temp. then I would believe that the o/pump, relief valve and the crankshaft bearings are OK -- most likely the camshaft ones as well. That would leave the oilway feeding through the cylinder head and the valve gear assy. as suspect.
It is not unknown for engines that have been standing for some while, and/or had previously been filled with older formulated oils, to develop blockages after a refill using modern detergent oils as this can cause carbon deposits to loosen and block oilways.
In the first instance I would suggest removing all of the valve gear and check out the oil pathways. Whilst it may also be possible to use a probe inserted into the oilway from the cylinder head to the block [???] to clear it of any obstruction, any rubbish dislodged will still remain in the system waiting to do the dirty again at a later date.

Pavel