Fordson Major Rear Ploughing Lamp

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jimcdbts
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Major Rear Ploughing Lamp

Post by Jimcdbts »

In all my years working with and observing other fordson majors at work and play i have never seen one ever fitted with a rear ploughing lamp yet in all the parts books i have it shows an illustrated list of parts for this option. However it does not show a mounting bracket and there is no mention of it in any list of accessories and mounting kits for the tractors. There are no pictures of any tractors with ploughing lamps shown in any brochures ,instruction books and the workshop manuals.None of the wiring diagrams in any of the different models of fordson major instruction books shows the installation of a ploughing lamp . I also have all the fordson major service bulletins and most of the sales bulletins and the ploughing lamp is shown nowhere. Am I missing something. Has anybody got a picture of the proper installation .

R W
True Blue

Re: Fordson Major Rear Ploughing Lamp

Post by R W »

A rear light was not standard , most of them were fitted by the dealer or the owner.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Jim, we had one on my dads Major. It was the genuine Ford unit (the only one I have ever seen) with the switch to select ether the white or red light. I had replaced it years ago as it was no longer working but luckily I still have it out in the barn. They just drilled a hole in the fender, bolted it on and ran the wire down through the fender brace.
My computer at home has been giving problems, but I’ll try to post some pics this week.

Pat

Jimcdbts
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimcdbts »

I was searching through some more fordson literature i have and eventually found the ploughing lamp listed as an optional accessory in a small yellow salesman's facts booklet for the power major. No pictures in the book however but it is defiantly a proper fordson option but obviously a very rare option .

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi, I was given a ploughing lamp off a super major, it looks in original condition, with a switch on it, although im not sure it changes colour like pats. The bracket is curved to fit the wing and it fixes with a single bolt, also has a couple rubber gaskets so it doesnt scratch the paint.

I will post a couple pictures in a bit
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

It is an original butlers unit, but the switch is broken which is annoying. I am planning to put it on one of my tractors at some point, can you buy repro switches anywhere?

Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Nick wrote:Hi, I was given a ploughing lamp off a super major, it looks in original condition, with a switch on it, although im not sure it changes colour like pats. The bracket is curved to fit the wing and it fixes with a single bolt, also has a couple rubber gaskets so it doesnt scratch the paint.

I will post a couple pictures in a bit
Hi Nick
I wonder if there is a U.K market lamp like yours and one for U.S.A like Pats. The U.k Majors had red rear lights on the fenders so maybe that only had white light on the work
lamp with just on/ off.
None of the North american major tractors had red fender rear lights, some of my canadian ones have the tear drop front light turned to the rear. some had a red dot licence plate lamp only for markers.
I worked on a North American spec JD 2130 (1830 here in Canada) light system. when I did the rear plough lamp it had 2 bulbs in. the white and also a second smaller white light bulb that shone through a red circle. When the switch on the dash was turned it either gave white plow light, or the next position turned white out and red on for a rear light.
Thinking this is why Pat has the red light and on off / red changeover switch for North american lighting laws.
Hope this might answer why you Don't have red on yours.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

You could be right that that is an American thing as other makes of tractors here from the 1950's had similar lights that could be switched from red to white. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hmmmm, now that I am looking at it, I don’t think dads was a genuine Fordson plow lamp. The wire gets attached to a terminal on the rear rather than through the mounting stud as well as a few other differences. The factory one looks like nothing more than a somewhat modified headlamp. I’d have to guess that the Ford dealership could get a nearly identical aftermarket lamp for less than the factory one and no one would be the wiser.

Pat

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi pat, ive never seen one like that before. is the first picture of another you have, or is that the ford one on your tractor?

The switch on mine is busted, did they used to pull in and out, or was it a rocker switch?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

The lamp in the first pic is just an aftermarket cheapy that I put on Dads tractor years ago, but the location is where the original one was.
I could have sworn the switch was a pushbutton, push it once it goes to red, push it again it goes to the white, push again back to red, but the switch in the lamp is a rotary. Ether Dad or I changed it, or my memory is far worse than I thought!

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Pat, Wondering if your old light is a Dietz? Looks very similar. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Do you want it as a top-class restored option fitted to your major, or just a plough lamp on a working tractor to see your work when it's dark?

It is because here in our area, where tractors were only for work and that's the end of it, what we would do is to just buy one front headlamp, drill a hole in the fender of a fordson or a ford 4000 or 5000 (ford 5000s were the most popular, while my grandfather was the only one who's got a ford 4000 here in our area from 1973 until now,well, he loves it very much :D ) and bolt the lamp in it, and put a switch and connect it to the electrical system. That's exactly what my father did on my grandfather's 4000 several years ago but he removed it later because it doesn't work anymore.
Last edited by ford5000y on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

There were Fordsons 4000 years ago??? THTHTHTHTHTH. Ol Henry Ford is older in I thought. :lol: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Dandy Dave wrote:There were Fordsons 4000 years ago??? THTHTHTHTHTH. Ol Henry Ford is older in I thought. :lol: Dandy Dave!
I think no, but I think they would be still there 4000 years later :D

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Here is the plow light on one of our Power Majors, as you can see there is a rocker switch on the rear of the lamp, all the way to the left turns on the red light for travel, center position is off and all the way to the right turns on the work lamp.

I did talk with dad who has owned the tractor since new and he said that it has always been there and left the dealership with it. I don't know if the dealer added it or if it left the Fordson factory with the lamp but it sure looks the part. Maybe someone else could shed some more light on the subject, and yes indeed, pun intended !

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

The switch shown in the parts list is a push button, SPST [single pole, single throw] although some I've come across were double pole, single throw. All have three terminal connectors -- one live in and two [alternatives] out. It should be rated at 10amps if you intend to run a 100w bulb for ploughing. The red bulb of about 6w was used as a tail lamp. So long as the rated voltage is above 12 volts -- even 120volts -- it'll work OK. A rubber waterproof cover is also a good idea. Radio Shack should have stock.

Pavel