Fordson Industrial Motor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Pepper Farms
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Industrial Motor

Post by Pepper Farms »

I’ve found an industrial Ford motor out of a log skidder and the price is right –its free. I was wondering if they are more than 220 cubic inches or more horsepower than a stock new performance Major? If so, I was thinking of putting it in mine, as we have a had a lot of snow this year and could always use a few extra horsepower. The serial number on the engine is S438620. Here's some picture of it and my new performance Major.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson Industrial Motor

Post by JC »

That engine has 220 cubic inches, like your NPSM. It could be governed to a different RPM, which would change the horsepower a little. Did it come out of a Tree Farmer skidder? You may be able to find the specs for that model and see how many horsepower it had. I would probably just keep it as a spare.
I've never blown snow without a cab. Does that heat houser keep you very warm?

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Lovely tractor. How does it get on with the snow blower? Is it an attachment that needs a lot of power to drive it?
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Those engines were comon in some combines over here.
They used to have 68 hp with the same cubic inches as the Majors.
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

Pepper Farms
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Pepper Farms »

JC, the heat houser does do a pretty good job. Just the windshield alone is nice to duck out of the wind.

Adrian, It does take a lot of power if the snow is wet and heavy. Sometimes more than what the old girl has, so that's why I am looking for a bit more.

I've been told that the industrial motors have a different camshaft and injector pump and that's where the extra power comes from. Also, will an industrial motor bolt into the tractor? The bell housing looks the same as a major motor, and I realize I'll have to put the tractor oil pan on. What does a stock New Performance Major actually make for horsepower. I have heard everything from 48-65hp. Thanks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Extra power comes from reading it at different revs, the tractor was rated at 1800 rpm the truck at 2100 rpm. There were differences in the pump to allow higher revs.

Basically it is the same engine, you would need to change the oil pump pick-up which will be to the front of the sump on the industrial engine. The front plate will need changing and also the timing cover. The side plate with the breather should be changed too along with the valve cover but other than these items the engine will slot straight in.

New Performance Super should be 54.5 hp.

One of the things that could give problems with your snow blower is the Supers gear ratios which could be a bit fast, so increasing the revs to increase hp might not be an option.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian