Raised PTO Questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
whirly
True Blue

Raised PTO Questions

Post by whirly »

Aside from being able to engage/disengage the PTO from the seat, how much easier does it make life as opposed to just reaching down to use the lever? I realize it is also a safety enhancement but I'm considering the cost/benefit here. I already have a live PTO and I assume you would still have to disengage the PTO clutch to engage the raised PTO.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

nzMark
True Blue

Re: Raised PTO Questions

Post by nzMark »

hi whirly. the raised unit allows hydraulics to continue while engaging/disengaging PTO. ie. post hole borer on and you can engage/disengage borer irrevalent? of hydraulic availability. on modern tractors (hush my mouth) hydraulics are independent of PTO whilst on old girls they are intergrated. the raised unit separates to two. hope this helps. Mark

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope all is well. Whirly, I put a raised pto on my Power Major which has live drive, for me it is a great addition. I bushhog mostly and with the raised pto I now can shut the mower down and still have hydraulics. Makes me feel a lot safer when backing up and the mower is not spinning after I disengage the pto. The only drawback I think is the lower rpm of the pto.
Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Agree with what the others have said. No way I would take mine off. My PM also has live drive. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Thanks guys :beer:

The ability to mount and hook up the rotating attachments to the PTO then raise them without them rotating will save me at least one iteration of in and out of the seat. At this age, THAT is a real benefit :!:
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

One more Quick Q ....

Can the raised PTO be engaged while the implement is still tuning the PTO? I'm specifically thinking of my Chipper (175# Flywheel) that takes 5 minutes to turn down and may still be turning slowly by the time I get it to the next spot.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If the disengaged PTO and Engine speeds match closely. Yes. If not, you will have to stop and restart... Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi all a couple of points if I may I believe when the new major came out there was some disappointment with the power compared to the p6 because of having to throttle back to pto speed which caused a significant power drop and if you didn’t the extra pto speed which the implement may not like ate the power any way the mk 2 of 58 which we have solved this by intruding the raised pto which lowers the pto gearing and allows near full reves plus two stage clutch and raising the hp to p6 levels then off cause there are all the previously mentitioned advantages. Whirly does your chipper have an over run clutch a lot of pto implements do now to stop straining pto brakes or flat spotting drive belts with a sudden stop one disadvantage is they can take ages to stop. if it has thou the machine is running down the pto may be still if so I cant see why it couldn’t be re engaged .if it hasn’t and your bouncing it out of gear one of these might help I have two of the second type that I use on all my none live drive tractors makes all the difference being able to wind up a heavy implement then move off and being able to stop one is a size converter as well that we use on the wife’s grey beastie we also use them on the Landrover when its got the slasher on it the Landrover pto is actually a ground drive so if you stop to back into a corner you first have to arrest and then reverse the slashers rotation with the clutch it just clicks away and picks up as soon as you go ford again makes it workable cheers bj http://www.bareco.com.au/files-pto2002-pto66
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Thanks guys, you are a world of info :beer:
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Can't understand why anyone who purchased a Fordson new did not order the raised PTO, they were almost essential , to couple the pto to a baler or header or most other trailed pto machines.

neilarmo
True Blue

Post by neilarmo »

but it cost extra! :wink:

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

:yeah: