Hydraulic winch operation

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic winch operation

Post by oliver17 »

Hi everyone after some advice again please :)
I have a Mk1 E1A which I want to run a hydraulic 3 point link winch off at the moment I have a return pipe running into the filler bung and the flow running off the trailer tipping pipe and the hydraulics only work with the lift arms lifted right up is there a way of changing/altering this to operate the lift arms and hydraulic feed separately? or some where else I can take a hydraulic feed from?
will get some pictures tomorrow if that will help :)
thanks
oli

brockwood
True Blue

Re: Hydraulic winch operation

Post by brockwood »

hi this question has been covered quite a bit in resent posts about front end loaders / post drivers and a large post on control valves in the resant past .quite easy to get here in aus apparantly rear in uk however unfortunately you wont power much of a winch with a majors hydraulics as the volume is just to low b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

The winch only requires 30 ltrs a minute to power it I thought a major could do this no problem? as I have seen majors with winches and other hydraulic implements on before

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi by my book new major 18 power with the extra revs 22 now thats flat out bj
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

oliver17 wrote:The winch only requires 30 ltrs a minute to power it I thought a major could do this no problem? as I have seen majors with winches and other hydraulic implements on before
Hi
All the Majors I have ever seen with winches have been pto or chain drive from the belt pulley on the side. If you put a hyd winch on your tractor, it will turn very slow with less gpm than it needs. Gpm gives the speed to the winch motor or speed to a cylinder function. Pressure gives it power. So basically your winch will be dead slow and low on power if you got less pressure/flow than you need. if my thinking is correct :scratchhead: .
A guy can run any hyd stuff on a major he wants, it just might not work very well with lower flows and pressures, so could be useless in the real world basically :wink: .

A guy could always add a high capacity pump driven by the front crank pulley with a shaft conversion like on some old diggers, or pto drive pump if there is room between the tractor and winch, and draw oil flow from a separate tank mounted on the tractor for either set up. or just find a proper winch for a major, could be a problem if you still need 3 point hitch. Then you would have to have a pto driven 3 point hitch mounted winch instead of hydraulic drive :idea: .
Hope this might help you a bit more with what you need to do to hopefully make a good usable winch tractor :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.