Renewing wiring. Add headlights?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Renewing wiring. Add headlights?

Post by SimonT »

Hi,
I think my PMs wiring is up the swanny. If I leave the battery connected for more than a few minutes after I've finished using the machine the battery goes flat and neither of the dials on the steering column work.

So, I'm thinking I might have a crack at sorting the electrics out. Whilst I am at it I'd like to put the headlights back on it.

Two questions:

1) Is there any info about the wiring setup anywhere that I can refer to?
2) Where can I get some headlights for a 1959 Power Major? I've looked at eBay and there are loads, so more properly, the question should be phrased as 'which ones would be best'? I love the look of the tractor and want to maintain its visual integrity.

Thank you.

Simon
Last edited by SimonT on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just step sideways

scoobyjim
True Blue

Re: Renewing wiring. Add headlights?

Post by scoobyjim »

All new headlights are generally the same now. All cheap reproductions although they will do your job no bother. For your purpose i would go with new as origonal ones could be corroded.

You should be able to get a wiring diagram on line. Google search it. I have one but dont have a scanner to get it on to here.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

It's not usually faulty wiring, Simon, that causes a battery to lose its charge; but the item it's connected too ie lights, radio etc. If a wire is shorting out it would either melt or the insulation catch fire. With the ignition off the only live circuit, depending how it is wired up, is via the yellow wire from the switch on the starter motor to A on the regulator and from A1, via the yellow/red tracer wire, to the ignition/light switch. It is also possible that the cut-out points inside the regulator are sticking closed and providing a path to earth via the yellow/red/black wire, at D, to the dynamo. If you have an ammeter fitted try carefully noting where the needle rests [with the ignition off] and then removing the battery earth lead and noting whether, or not, the needle has moved. If it has then I would suspect the regulator cut-out points. Other than that, I would suggest that the battery could be the culprit.
Wiring circuits have been posted before so I suggest you try the Search option at the top of the page.

Pavel.

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks for these responses. I'll have a delve with my multimeter. I had assumed that the battery was OK as it doesn't lose charge when disconnected. The wiring is generally old and dodgy (and I am already due to fit a new regulator) so I'll see if I can sort out what is there and add the lights if I can. I'd certainly like to get the two dials working.

Thanks. Simon.
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

You can access a wiring diagram for the Power Major on the Home Page. Top right side click on the blue Major section, then onto New Major Owners Manual. Download pages 114-115.
The letters are,in some places, a little blurred so I suggest you do the same for the Super Major site as, apart from there being no ammeter, but only a red charging lamp, the codes are identical.

Pavel

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks Pavel.

I've just changed the solenoid and one of the wires has come loose (not from the solenoid end!). And the diagram does not tally with my wiring so I've asked a question on the original solenoid thread. :-(

Do you know if there is anywhere I can download the manual all at once? It's quite time consuming to open up each page in a browser and then download it.

Thanks.
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

As far as I recall you can access either website and print the whole lot from start to finish -- thus giving you time to contemplate your navel or having a brew.

Pavel