Problem with diesel injection pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Problem with diesel injection pump

Post by Lesterz »

I have a 1957 Major on which I have just had the diesel injection pump overhauled. I put it together today & can only get fuel spurting from outlets 2,3 &4. Outlet 1 (nearest the radiator) produces no fuel at all.
I lined up the timing marks on the flywheel to 23 degrees & when I checked through the oil filler cap it looked like the valves on piston one were at the top of the stroke.
Is there anything else I should be looking at myself or is it possibly still a problem with the pump? :curse:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Problem with diesel injection pump

Post by Dandy Dave »

Have you started it on two three and four and then tried to bleed #1 while it is running?
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lesterz »

Dandy Dave wrote:Have you started it on two three and four and then tried to bleed #1 while it is running?
Dave, She will not start at all on 2,3 &4. Just blows a lot of white smoke.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

It doesnt matter if.its timed right in order to get fuel out of all 4. As for the starting, depending on thr rest of the engine if its good it should run on 3 all be it rough. Maybe you have another problem. Have you changed the fuel and filter

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If you are getting white smoke, you are getting close. You still have some air in the system. Agree with changing the filter and being sure you have good fuel if you have not already done so. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Have you tried pressing the cold start button (where the stop knob lever pivots on the lh top of the pump) the added extra fuel might get you started, mine needs it even in warm weather but it's not been servicesd* in living memory.
*edit - sorry, flippin keys keep moving around the keyboard :oops:
Last edited by oehrick on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

oehrick wrote:Have you tried pressing the cold start button (where the stop knob lever pivots on the lh top of the pump) the added extra fuel might get you started, mine needs it even in warm weather but it's not been services in living memory.
:yeah:

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Symptoms sound like pump 180 degrees out. Did you check the clamp bolt on the pump coupling was under the shaft when all the marks lined up?

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah, That too. :clap: :yeah:

1960 Fordson Power Major

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

If you have had the pump overhauled then you ought not to have any issues with it, however its worth checking one of the plungers is not stuck "up". If you take the side plate off and turn the engine over you should see the four plungers move up and down with a corresponding squirt of diesel out of the top of the pump. I once came across a pump which had been "messed with", the rack has four grub screws on it which control the position of the metering device for the amount of fuel delivered to each injector. These should not be tampered with since they should be set by someone with the right calibrating equipment. If one is not positioned correctly it can mean fuel is not delivered to an injector. Both these issues should not be present on your pump if it has just been rebuilt (assuming the rebuilder was reputable)