diesel major wont drive

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

diesel major wont drive

Post by fordson 54 »

Hello everyone I'm new here so please be gentle I've a big issue with my 54 major d that I just can't work out il start where it all went wrong
Finished spraying went to take pump of pto and it wouldnt come so 're engaged pto and engine revs dropped and tried to stall the engine dip the clutch and engine back to normal let foot off the pedal and same again tries to stall I now have no hydrolics no pto or any drive at all dip the clutch it's fine let off and engine tries to stall.
Please help I'm baffled
Thanks Andy

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: diesel major wont drive

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Andy
Just to be clear, are you experiencing the symptoms described above with the sprayer still attached to the PTO, or are you experiencing them when the tractor has nothing attached to the PTO?
My guess is that the sprayer is still attached and that something has failed on the sprayer causing the engine to be pulled down when you release the clutch.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

No sorry still explain very well sprayer Is off tractor I took pump off the pto and went to move tractor as as soon as you go to drive away engine tried to stall dipped clutch and it was fine checked lever for hydraulics and pto was not in tried putting in gear and drive but same again have tried hi low range no different I now have no drive no hydraulics or pto seems as the main output shaft is stuck and wants to stall engine everytime you release the clutch hope that explains it better
Thanks Andy

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yes, unhook the sprayer and then see how she is. Could be the sprayer pump has gone south. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

OK... you may have it stuck in two gears at once. I have had transmissions that the forks were miss aligned where the shifter goes in. You will have to take the shifter off and see if you can get everything lined up in neutral and then put it back on. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

Ok thanks I've drained the oil and took off the pto ingagement lever and have found a piece of cast it looks like part of a shaft housing or similar going to take all the gearbox plates off and investigate inside hopefully without splitting the gearbox and engine thanks for your reply will check all gears
Andy

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Andy
If you found a piece of cast iron in the PTO housing beneath the gearbox, I fear it may be because the lugs holding the gear wheel that engages the PTO have failed. Never seen this, but I have heard that it happens. This photo shows the lugs I am referring to. If this is u/s, you'll need to find another PTO housing.
Best

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

Hi thanks looking at that picture it looks very much like the piece I found in the gearbox il take that off in the morning and have a look thank you so much you all been a great help Andy.

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

Hi Adrian just out of curiosity if that piece was from the shaft housing top right or left if the picture could. I remove the shaft and gear and run with no pto temporarily and still have hydraulics as I've got drilling to do which does not require the pto shaft thanks Andy

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Andy
Sadly not. The PTO housing picks up drive from the gearbox above and transfers the drive to the rear of the tractor via a tubular shaft that slides over the splined stub shaft shown in the first photo below. The second photo shows the end of the shaft that protrudes from the rear of the tractor. Just inside the flange that holds the shaft in place you can see the cog that drives the hydraulic pump. If the problem turns out to be what we think, then you will have to get a new PTO housing before you can get power back to your hydraulics.
To remove the PTO housing you'll need to drain the rear axle housing, then unbolt the flange holding the PTO shaft in place, and withdraw the shaft. You can then unbolt the PTO housing and it will come free. A small trolley jack would be useful to take the weight as you unbolt it.
Where are you located? In the UK? Depending on where you are, someone on here may be able to help you source a spare PTO housing, again assuming that this turns out to be the problem.
Good luck.
Best

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

Thanks for the advice stripped out this morning and both ends of that shaft are broken off looks like I've got to sorce a new one . They appear to be like rocking horse poo . I'm
ed in north norfolk but can travel anywhere south of that if anybody has one or knows of one that would be great thanks again for all the help
Andy

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Which shaft has snapped

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Andy
Strangely enough this may be a good result. The shaft is easier to find and fit than a replacement PTO housing. What I am trying to fathom is what has happened. What did you find when you withdrew the PTO shaft? Are the splines inside the female end of the shaft stripped? If both ends of the shaft have failed, you are going to have to drop the PTO housing to see if there is any damage there. I have never used a sprayer but they obviously require a lot of grunt to put so much pressure on the transmission.
Any chance of photos?
If you're in Norfolk, there are a few places where you are likely to find a PTO shaft.
Best

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

try Malcolm hipperson near downham market he should be able to help, though not open mondays

fordson 54
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordson 54 »

Thanks everyone have picked up a new complete housing in real good condition today will get it fitted over the next couple of days this site is fantastic a real source of knowledge hopefully I will be able to help somebody myself one day I will post when all is done thanks again Andy

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Does Pto housing look like this ?
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400