Stuck brakes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stuck brakes

Post by dwol »

Anybody have any sugestions for stuck brakes? I have a 54 major with both sides stuck. Has been sitting for years. I thought about heating them but not so sure with the tires on, probably would have to remove the tires first. Mann,... I hate removing those huge tires.
Kind regards,
Dave

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The way to try is to first slacken off the adjusters through the slot on the back of the mounting plate then hit all round the drum with a hammer fairly hard. This should free the rusted shoes off the drum.

I find that mine rust onto the drum in a very short time if I do not use her for a few weeks but with a couple of trys forward and back they free. This happens with both drum and disc brakes and its down to condensation/wet weather.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Loosening Brakes

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:The way to try is to first slacken off the adjusters through the slot on the back of the mounting plate then hit all round the drum with a hammer fairly hard. This should free the rusted shoes off the drum.
Our Dexta brakes loosened off easily with a squirt of WD40 through the slot onto the adjusters, after 15years standing in wet Welsh climate. Perhaps WD40 isn't best for the brake shoe material, but we'll be replacing those anyway.
All the best,
Ben

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Loosening Brakes

Post by dwol »

Thanks guys, I'll give her a shot. I have already taken the fenders off as well as the brake dust cover. I did the trick of squirting WD40 in her and also beet her like a red headed step child, but to no avail. Will loosen the adjuster next and proced to beat some more.
Kind regards,
Dave
Bensdexta wrote:
Brian wrote:The way to try is to first slacken off the adjusters through the slot on the back of the mounting plate then hit all round the drum with a hammer fairly hard. This should free the rusted shoes off the drum.
Our Dexta brakes loosened off easily with a squirt of WD40 through the slot onto the adjusters, after 15years standing in wet Welsh climate. Perhaps WD40 isn't best for the brake shoe material, but we'll be replacing those anyway.
All the best,
Ben