Gearbox problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
jord7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gearbox problems

Post by jord7 »

Sorry new to this. Have enjoyed my Super Major for a while but this year after a rest of a couple of months I proceeded to top my grass only to lose drive after only 50 metres with the engine bogging down and black smoke coming from under the fuel tank area. I was in low 3rd with PTO engaged. After leaving her to cool it is not possible to engage any forward gear but the clutch and reverse work ok as does the PTO.
Any ideas, what should I look at first. I love owning the tractor, am fairly competent with motorbikes but have little knowledge/experience with tractors other than routine servicing.
Any help much appreciated to get her going again!

county654
True Blue

Re: Gearbox problems

Post by county654 »

Hallo jord,

Sound pretty much like the problems I have
:arrow: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=5893

Could it be the handbrake?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

jord7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jord7 »

Yes thanks, does look like I stupidly didn't notice handbrake was slightly on. Now just plucking up the courage to split gearbox. How did you find it.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Yes, the only thing it could be is the handbrake friction welding itself together after being left on. The smoke would be the result of the oil being heated up. You'll have to split the tractor between engine and gearbox.
Splitting a tractor is a pretty crazy concept if you haven't done it before. With a car or a lorry you lift the bonnet or tilt the cab to reveal the engine and gearbox. Various access issues ensue. With a tractor, there are no real access issues - you part the ironwork and walk between them to have a look! This blew my mind a little when I first did it, especially after owning an old Citroen GSA, which was so badly designed in terms of maintenance that to change the spark plugs you virtually needed to remove one of the rear wheels! Not literally, but a hell of a lot of other stuff ended up on the floor!
You need to get your head around the basic operation of splitting the tractor - there is a wealth of experience on this site to draw on. Once you've got her apart, you're three-quarters of the way to solving your problem.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

If Splitting is already 3/4 of the Job, it should not be rocket sience :D

If done it long time ago on our Dexta, the bigest tractor we used to own in the late 60ths on a 30ha farm :shock: , and later on a 7610 to do a job on the Dual power unit.

We will start in the next days, I will post some pics.....and probablly ask for further support :roll:
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654