transmission brake

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

transmission brake

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Does anyone remember if the transmission brake shaft will slide out without having to remove the upper gear shaft? I can get the head of the brake shaft between the teeth of the gear but it binds up just about at the center of the gear shaft. maybe I need to try to pull the brake shaft bushing out from the outside to let it drop down a little?

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Re: transmission brake

Post by super6954 »

Hi pat
I took one out of a super about 12 years ago that i sold. was a U.K tractor i brought to Canada with me. Guys that looked at it with the brake lever walked away because it was odd spec for Canada. so just removed the lever rod and ratchet put a frost plug in the hole. left the guts in the trans. sold it to the next guy. he was none the wiser :wink: .
I think I had to take the shaft out when I did mine. like i said was a long while ago and seen way to much stuff since to remember that :cry: . I do remember it was a bit harder to do than I first figured, and wished I didn't start the program :eyes: :cry: .
Just wondering why do you need to take it out :?:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

i had to remove the top shaft to get mine out. tried every way to avoid it but couldn't.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I now have the transmission out of my Super Six and found that it had been converted to the non brake setup. To remedy this I would have to get a new gear, bolt, nut, spring, pins, and the brake pads/plates, not to mention that the handle is broken, bent, and missing parts. This is not in the budget nor am I trying to keep this one completely 100% stock. (This would require me to put 36” wheels all the way around…..not quite the look I wanted), so the entire transmission brake assembly got removed.
I know I will burn in hell for what I did…..but I covered all the gears/bearings with rags, then took my Sawsall and cut the shaft just behind the head. I was then able to easily tap the remainder of the shaft from the inside out, removed the seal and taped a frost plug into the hole.

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
As far as i'm concerned you won't be going any place hot unless it's a holiday in Mexico :wink: . If I hadn't spent way to much money on the super I sold and I had a saws all instead of a cutting torch :twisted: , at the time I would of done exactly the same :lol: . Just thinking it's a bummer I didn't take the brake mech out of mine and converted it like yours. I still got the lever here but not the brake parts spare, so it would of all been sitting here on the shelf for you :!: . I got 2 english spec Majors here with the guts still in, that I shipped over with me. But sadly i'm not taking those gearboxes apart unless I have to for restoration :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.