Raised PTO Shaft removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
whirly
True Blue

Raised PTO Shaft removal

Post by whirly »

I have a guy who says he has one but can't get it out. How difficult is it to remove the Raised PTO input shaft?

Is the bearing at the back of the rear end press fit or should you be able to remove the shaft by hand?
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

nzMark
True Blue

Re: Raised PTO Shaft removal

Post by nzMark »

hi whirly
the raised pto shaft brg is in a housing which is "supposedly" an easily removed slide BUT rust etc can make it harder to slide back.
you should be able to easily pry it back with care between the main housing and the gear on the shaft with use of appropriate spacers. it is NOT a press fit or otherwise. have fun

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

nzMark -

Sorry for the thickheadedness but ... are you saying to use a block/spacer and pry between the rear end housing and the Raised PTO drive gear? Makes sense but just have to confirm I'm understanding what you said. :scratchhead:

Thank you

'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. Look at my post on raised pto, it might help. It is an easy removal. The housing is just bolted on to rear end, it should be disengaged from the pto shaft to remove. After the housing is removed, the pto shaft slides out just as easy as a regular pto shaft. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

nzMark
True Blue

Post by nzMark »

hi whirly,
Yes you understand, when you unbolt the raised unit you can see the bearing holder shown in your picture , use a bar either side of outer gear and spacers between main housing and bars to give leverage to get bearing holder and entire shaft to slide out.
Cheers

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

nzmark - Thanks again :beer:

Evidently your help worked like a champ. Now we just have top come to terms on the deal.

Gman - Thanks for the reply and the previous post.

That was my initial assumption - just pull it out like the std PTO shaft. However, for some reason, the bearing was a little more "sticky" than any of us expected and nzmark's suggestion worked with just a little more effort.

Hopefully, in the next few days, I'll be the proud owner of a raised PTO.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

I'm currently splitting my Major in order to replace the output shaft seal between gearbox and rear axle. Does the PTO shaft just slide straight out the back once the four bolts are removed? It's a bit stubborn and obviously I don't want to force it too much! Thank you in advance for any help.
10 minutes later, I've removed it with a bit of muscle and a tap with mallet on the bearing carrier. Just years of crud sticking it there!
Easy Start (not required for the Fordson)

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

I am assuming this is a standard PTO you are talking about.

The bearing is a close fit but not tight. I put a screwdriver through the locking pin hole in the PTO spline and attached a ratchet strap to the back of my truck ... a couple of cranks on the ratchet and it slid right out without damaging anything.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

Hi, yes it is the standard PTO. It was just the gasket and years of muck holding it firmly in place. It's out now, the tractors split and seals have just this second been ordered! :D
Easy Start (not required for the Fordson)