Clutch release bearing - can you identify this?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
timmiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Clutch release bearing - can you identify this?

Post by timmiles »

Hi,
I am replacing the clutch on my fordson and need your help to identify what type of major it is and in particular confirmation of the type of clutch release bearing/ carrier that is installed in it as I am struggling to find a correct replacement part.
In the photos below you will see the part that has come off the tractor next to the part supplied to replace the release bearing.
The clutch assembly fitted is 13" - so that lends me to think I have a fordson Super Major, despite having been told when I bought it that it is a power major - anyone know how I can confirm this and where I can find a suitable replacement clutch release bearing?

Thanks,Tim

http://imgur.com/XIbM9xd
http://imgur.com/xgYAeTC
http://imgur.com/AAwpSv8
http://imgur.com/l8Ifxej
http://imgur.com/MZ6UFe6

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Clutch release bearing - can you identify this?

Post by Brian »

13" clutches were an option on industrial tractors and some tractors fitted with loaders. You can usually tell what you have because the 13" had a "Grease Stuffer" on the clutch housing.

What you have is a 13" Heavy Duty Clutch and Bearing, I would try New Holland as I doubt if any of the aftermarket suppliers would have one. You could also try any bearing supplier but it would be best to take your bearing with you to check.

If you post the casting codes from some of the castings and the engine number we may be able to help you further.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Or......you could put the old one back in. It is common practice to replace them while the tractor is apart, especially if you are doing a clutch job for a customer, but if it is for a tractor that is only seeing moderate amount of work for the rest of its life, and this one has probably been greased several times, I wouldn't be afraid to use it over.

Pat

Katfxr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Katfxr »

Hello Tim.
I am currently overhauling a Power Major gearbox and clutch for a customer of mine and I have run into the same trouble as you......this machine has the single plate clutch with the same big clutch release bearing as your machine.
Am curious to know if you were able to get another bearing?
If so, are you able to supply me with the bearing make and number, and where it was available?
I am in Australia and as yet no bearing company I use has been able to come up with one!! :scratchhead:
The world is a small place now so am checking around.
Cheers for now,
Ken.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Can you help,
I have just purchased a Super Major with a Malcom Moore loader industrail conversion it too has a large thrust bearing that no one seems to be able to match, that sounds to be the same as yours?

I would also like to know the position of the grease nipple as the one I have has been altered so much in the clutch area that I don't know which hole it fits into?

The bearing hub has the part number on it which almost matches the parts book 7561 -G RJH I also have another which I purchased from the Tractor wreckers a couple of weeks ago, it is also 7561 with a greae line, but has a much smaller bearing and no letter after the part number to indicate which version it might be, to me it seems to be the first version from 1957 and perhaps by 1963 ( which is the one I started with ) it had progressed to version "G" with the much larger bearing, which is the one which seems impossible to get.
It would be useful if Agriline showed which bearing fitted which model, or just which fitted the 13" clutch.

I just had a look at the parts books and they give two bearing hubs both E1ADDN version "A" is 1952 - 1957/ 3 while version "C" is 3/ 1957 on & D is also 3/1957

The bearing is listed in the 1962 to 1965 parts book as E1ADKN 7580B for the 1952 on industrail version
and the E1ADKN 7580C is for 3/ 1957 on. ( the DKN indicates that they had 1957 or earlier origins )

My son says that the bearing supplier has 4 types listed, it is all confusing! ( can get the one we need )

looks like I will just revert back to what looks to be the earlier 1957 verison from the Tractor wreckers and forget the larger bearing.

Did you resolve yours?

Mike