Diesel Injection Pump Coupling

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kjetil
True Blue

Diesel Injection Pump Coupling

Post by Kjetil »

I am in need of changing the fiber coupling on the injection pump coupling again.

This will be the third time in less than a 100 hours use, I need to change the fibre coupling.

Last time I changed it, I felt the key was a little loose, but nothing serious.

How critical will that be?

If it is critical, is there som kind of glue to use, or do I need to change the drive shaft.

Kjetil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The fibre drive coupling should not wear out that quickly. They will however clatter but still keep going, the clatter was part of the Major engine noise.

There are two types of shaft that drives the coupling so, if you change it make sure you get the right one because they also changed the oil pump drive gear which drives off the same shaft, The easy way to check which one is right is by the size of the pump coupling key way.

Rather than fill the keyway up with a glue, it might be an idea to get a slightly larger key and file it to fit. I would doubt that wear in the key would cause the drives to wear out though, I would suspect poor quality fibre drives. I know someone who made a new drive pad out of white polypropolene bar. That worked quite well.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian