Injection pump bearings

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
1962 model
True Blue

Injection pump bearings

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I am replacing the bearings in the injection pump from a 1955 E1A and appart from discarding two or three injection pumps due to rusted cams etc I have found another problem which others may like to know about.

I took the step in advance of ordering a kit from England to do the job, however the bearing type was wrong, the quality was terrible, and the seal was the wrong size, so I promptly purchased the right ones loacally!

The right bearings for these injection pumps are known as magneto bearings NSK sells these, E 20 A 30318 these are an angular contact bearing ( I think thats right )
The original samples are marked Hoffmann England A20 there are two of these.

I am a mechanical fitter by trade and quote industry standards in how to fit these and achive the correct axial loadings/ clearance.
The E1A use these bearings so that end float can be adjusted and to do this some dismantling during assembly is necessary.
Normal ball bearings cannot be removed once fitted without damage to them, normal bearings require a linnier force through them to remove and adjust and these forces must never to be exerted through a bearing from the inner race to the other one without risk of damage.

I am sure this will be explained in the Ford Manual, but basically there must not be a crushing loading on the bearings via the end plates and there must not be excessive endfloat or the seal will fail and the fuel rack settings will not be accurate and will vary in operation.
The seal I removed was one of those cheap and nasty single lip jobs which are great if your tractor never gets any dust or dirt on them, but that is fairyland stuff.
The only seals to use are the double lip ones like the I will be using marked 20-35-7 TC C50

I must now get to the workshop and put it all back together.

Mike

county654
True Blue

Re: Injection pump bearings

Post by county654 »

:thumbs:
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

This is where I've been getting mine from.

Pat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190593271656?va ... 1423.l2649

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Mike
From what you say about the kit you got coming from the U.K , the bearings being the wrong type and the seal being the wrong size. I am Kind of wondering if the kit you got, was for the pump drive shaft that comes out of the engine block to drive the fuel pump :?: .
Might be wrong on what the kits for, But I know those bearings are different to whats in the injection pump on the cam shaft :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Robert,
yes you guessed it, the catalogue description stated Injection bearings, and I didn't read the fine print which stated that they were actually for another purpose.
The description should have called them Auxillary drive bearings as this shaft not only drives the injection pump, but also the oil pump, Tacho and the Vaccume pump when fitted, an Auxilliary drive is a better description that way this would be why ford named it that!

Having said all that the poor bearing quality would still stop me using those bearings, I actually upgrade those bearing to a higher load type because the tendancy to wear quite a bit.
I don't want to have to replace those bearings as the whole front plate and timing gears have to come off , the sump off and the oil pump out to remove that shaft!

My apologies for the mix up,
Mike

62Super
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 62Super »

HI
I'm trying to find that seal #20-35-7 TC C5O is that at the same site as
the bearings or are they at a different site ? also I was wondering if anyone
knows if you can get the cam shaft in these pumps refinished because mine has rust spots where
it sat in one place for years? I Have 3 of these pumps that are all in rough shape that
I would like to get running.Thanks for this forum I've been looking all over the internet
and found nothing you guys have been a huge help.