injector filters blockage

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
1962 model
True Blue

injector filters blockage

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
can anyone let me know if it is possible to clean out the side filter just before the injector main body as I notice in the parts books or handbook that there is a filter between the end of the injector pipe passing through the rubber grommet and screws into the injector body.

Is it just a matter of unscrewing that connector pies and cleaning it out?

The tractor has had new rings, the valves serviced and all assembled and running, but there is a miss on number two cylinder which seems to be from a blockage through replacing the injection pump.

The pump appears to work fine, pumping out doses of Diesel but the injector won't fire properly.

any clues?

Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: injector filters blockage

Post by Brian »

Hi Mike,

Just checked the book to refresh my memory of stripping and cleaning many injectors in our diesel shop and wondered if I had missed something, in England at least, there is no filter in the line from the pump to the injector or in the injector itself. All filtration is done before the injection pump and if you think about it, the pump is working with clearances measured in microns so the bores in the injectors and in the lines would be like huge tunnels for any particles that small. Particles could get in when the pipes are removed and replaced but that is a high pressure line and would not accept a normal style filter. I could be wrong however! :eyes:

Have you had your injectors serviced? You mention a new pump, has that been tested? Have you rechecked valve clearances? All these things would be a more likely cause of a miss.

You could remove the offending injector and attach it to the pump on the pipe to let you see the spray pattern. DO NOT GET ANY PART OF YOUR BODY OR ANY BARE SKIN IN THE MIST FROM THE INJECTOR. The mist will penetrate the skin as it is so fine and cause blood poisoning and possible need for the affected part to be amputated.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks Brian,
looks like a replacement injector likely to be required, though I will double check the valve clearance too.
some of the early changes may have eliminated what is referred to as a side filter in this connecting section.
As you say all filtration should occurr before the injection pump.
A new aquaitance of mine ( also a Fordson owner ) has a test aparatus for injectors so I will take a bunch of spare ones to him, and take care of the diesel blast you warned me about.

Mike

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Mike
I have never heard of this filter you talk about on the injectors either, Could you please post a copy of what your reading, as I'm very interested to know about it. I'm sure as Brians a factory trained tech From the day, he is secretly interested in it to as he's never seen or heard of it either :?: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Robert,
I had another look, and the secionalised view appears on page 90 of the 1954 dated Repair Manual, so I may have been corerct about it being discontinued.
I checked some I have here and all connector pieces have a straight through path for the Diesel, unless it is just a radial sediment trap in an enlarged middle section and not normally seen.
Sorry I can't post the picture due to computer problems.

Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There WAS a filter in there!!!!!

In my 1954 book it says "In current production the edge filter is not fitted in the inlet adaptor, the bore of which is parallel throughout" and there is a diagram of where the filter fits.

No matter how old you are or how many times you have stripped and rebuilt these engines you can always be surprised. :D The filter must have been deleted around 1953 around the time they did the first mods. to stop the diesel running backwards.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Brian
Well thats a good job I asked then and you got some of the info, we both learned something :D . I have a motor from around 53 here came from a parts tractor I know it has the early style water pump. I think it still has the original injectors in. when i get chance i'll have to look and see if that filter is there, unless somebody can post a book extract showing it :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

I have just learned something too, searching through my Fordson Tarctor club information, an extract from the Fordson factory adment notes say that if injectors are over tightened it can jam the needle, I will check that too when I retorque the head etc, I normally just make them tight, maybe I will have to back them off a little?

Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

I found one!

I have a few injectors here, I screwed out 37 of those distance pieces and found ONE which has a removable brass sleve which is obviously the side filter quoted in the early workshop manuals on page 90.

Amoung the rest there were several differences, some had a smaller hole drilled, some had a parallel hole right through while others has a noticable step in the hole diameters from the tapered seat where the injector pipe attaches, this could be an indication of some form of internal filter as well, but one that is not necessarily of the servicable type.
I make it that there are aproximately 4 different versions, but I don't know which are interchangable, though it seems the earlier ones have smaller holes.
Perhaps it is possible to get some technical information on these to make this point more clear, does anyone have access to Simms injector information?
The K series injectors look to be quite similar too, ( apart from this distance piece ) I have 6 of those that I could look at too, but most are damaged.

Mike