Super Major Air Hose. Filter to Inlet Manifold

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Timeee
True Blue

Super Major Air Hose. Filter to Inlet Manifold

Post by Timeee »

I bought an air hose from my local agricultural engineers who are agents for Sparex. Guess what, the hose would not stretch over the inlet manifold end, although it fitted over the air filter outlet. Two phone calls to Sparex, Exeter and another new air hose ordered, as they said they would provide one that fitted. I now have yet another air hose from them that doesn't fit correctly. According to Sparex they have sold 250 air hoses in the last year with no complaints. So who out there has managed to fit a Sparex Air Hose Part No 66927? I congratulated them on providing spares that don't fit and wasting 2 weeks of my time. Need a source of one that fits, as mine has perished with age and split. Tim E

super6954
True Blue

Re: Super Major Air Hose. Filter to Inlet Manifold

Post by super6954 »

Timeee wrote:I bought an air hose from my local agricultural engineers who are agents for Sparex. Guess what, the hose would not stretch over the inlet manifold end, although it fitted over the air filter outlet. Two phone calls to Sparex, Exeter and another new air hose ordered, as they said they would provide one that fitted. I now have yet another air hose from them that doesn't fit correctly. According to Sparex they have sold 250 air hoses in the last year with no complaints. So who out there has managed to fit a Sparex Air Hose Part No 66927? I congratulated them on providing spares that don't fit and wasting 2 weeks of my time. Need a source of one that fits, as mine has perished with age and split. Tim E
Hi
I seem to think that the new hoses are a tight fit on the manifold end and you have to kinda stretch it over with a screw driver :!: . It's been about 4 years since I fitted one here in Canada. That came from A- line. But seem to remember looking at it out the packet and thinking it wouldn't fit, but after some messing it went on. what you got to remember is your old one has been around for 50 years or so. it will of stretched and hardened to give that slip fit, with the clamp slackened :idea: .
try again and even drop the end in hot/warm water to soften the new rubber. that might help to :idea: .
i can't see sparex selling crap that don't work, they should be better than that with there top end parts name :wink: .
Hope this may help you.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

I had to same problem with some of the rad. hoses I recently fitted [ from an Ozzie supplier] and Robert's suggestion was part of what I did. But I also pushed them onto the beak of an anvil which helped to expand them and then dried the inside and smeared a little brake fluid inside. This worked -- with difficulty, I might add.

Pavel

paudie
True Blue

Post by paudie »

Hi guys its an old trick but boil a kettle of water have a cuppa ,and then put the tight fitting rubber end in to the hot water which will soften the rubber dramatically and it should stretch with out breaking over the air Flange .