Power Major on firewood duty

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matt in WI
True Blue

Power Major on firewood duty

Post by Matt in WI »

Today we thought we would take advantage of a beautiful day here in northern Wisconsin and get some firewood brought in. In the photo's we have one of our Power Majors and our New Holland L-785 skid steer powered by a Ford diesel, used during the Ford / New-Holland years. With harvest time approaching I hope to get some more photo's of the Fordson fleet at work. Hope you enjoy !

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Power Major on firewood duty

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Matt
Thanks for sharing the photos. What a beautiful part of the world you live in. And what a fine example of a Major. Wonderful, original condition. Look forward to seeing more photos.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Thanks for the complements Adrian, northern Wisconsin is a beautiful area to live. This Power Major is truly in wonderful original condition, My father brought it home new in late 1959. I could count on one hand the times I have ever seen it set outside for the night. My father died this June so out of all the Fordson's in my collection this one has become my favorite. Glad you enjoyed

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for posting. Sorry about your father.

Look forward to more photos of your Fordson fleet.

And the cattle too! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Thank you Ben. He was a good man and is sadly missed, He was 91 years old when he died so he had a good long run. I am a dairy farmer and we milk 120 head of registered Ayrshire's so ya there are a few cows around here :lol: Glad you enjoyed the photo's :thumbs:

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Matt, great pics! we always love to see the girls at work, and I don't think we have to many more days of this nice weather left, we better be enjoying it now!
The soybeans look good, there are a few farms over here on sand that started to combine the beans already this last week.
My deepest sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your father, its never easy to say goodbye to the man you have looked up to with respect your entire life. We also laid granny's father to rest this last week, and the old fart managed to get his way in the end and passed at home on the farm. They are probably both up there talking about the beans and corn as well.

Pat

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Thank You Pat, I also would like to offer my deepest sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your father in-law, It can be a hard time to get through. I think the last time you and I talked I was getting this tractor ready for Dad so he could go off to a local plow day. He loved his tractors and the farm right up until the end. Like your Father in-law, my Father died at home on the farm as well, that's exactly what he wanted. I plan on combining beans by the end of next week if possible and the weather permits. They do look good and with the addition of my new Great Plains drill this spring Iv now got closer row spacing and am very optimistic of 60 bpa, the combines yield monitor will tell the story. Im glad you also enjoyed the photo's. I know there are a lot of folks out there that maybe have a tractor or tractors that have no place to use them :( or maybe don't have a tractor at all :cry: but like to see them at work, that's why I take the time to snap a few photo's and post them. It also gives us a chance to see how other folks around the world do things. Now at the very least the world can see how I bring in my firewood in :lol:

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Cows and Majors, what else could you need? I used to milk Ayreshires here in the UK 35 years ago but the farm sold them and replaced them with Holsteins as did a lot of people. Now some of those same people are crossing the black and whites back to Ayreshires, what comes around goes around. Keep up the good work, I`ll be wooding with the major this side of the pond next week, makes a nice change from milking!!
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Dave, a quick request. Could you take your camera along when you head out to get your firewood? Or to put it another way ..........

:needpics:

Matt, thanks again for your photos. I for one would love to see more.
On the subject of bringing in the firewood, what about the smells involved? The oil, grease and diesel of the Major. The differing scents of the cut wood. I sawed some elm recently, a rare occurrence now sadly in the UK, and just lifting the cut wood to my nose brought to mind some lovely images.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Nothing like the smell of fresh dirt or cut wood. I love to smell a wood fire when it gets cold something about it just warms you. Good luck to all.
AdrianNPMajor wrote:Dave, a quick request. Could you take your camera along when you head out to get your firewood? Or to put it another way ..........

:needpics:

Matt, thanks again for your photos. I for one would love to see more.
On the subject of bringing in the firewood, what about the smells involved? The oil, grease and diesel of the Major. The differing scents of the cut wood. I sawed some elm recently, a rare occurrence now sadly in the UK, and just lifting the cut wood to my nose brought to mind some lovely images.
Gman: 1959 Power Major