Engine run

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Engine run

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Just running the engine after topping up the anti-freeze. Also had to repair nearside front puncture after running over a blackthorn thorn. :cry:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedqU6_ ... e=youtu.be

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Engine run

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice! :D Is there correct grills, Headlights, and a front badge in your future? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Dave
Yes, I'm going to spruce her up a bit when I get the chance. All the things on your list, plus :arrow: wiring, rev counter, mud guards ........ :D .
Need to get the drawbar back on board too.
When I was ploughing, a split pin sheered on one of the clevis pins connecting the lift arms to the drop arms. End result: pin came halfway out of clevis and plough dropped, bending one jaw of the clevis. Bent it back into shape cold with the mother of all stilsons! To make sure it doesn't happen again, I'm going to get some longer clevis pins made. The originals are only longer enough to take a very thin split pin and with no room for a washer.
There are probably a few other jobs that you'll spot that need doing. Mind you, that's half the fun of owning these mean machines, isn't it?! :D
Any signs of cold weather with you yet? Still mild here.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The past few days have been in the 40'sF. If the weather man didn't fib, It will be in the upper 20'sF at night. The old wood furnace is working fine and keeps the house around 75F. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Sounds nice adrian! Quick question, are those front weights the later fomoco ones? What did you use to attach them to your tombstone?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Dave
The reason I asked is because I know you get proper winters in New York state. Sounds like you're going to be nice and cosy with your wood furnace. We didn't get any serious snow here last winter, but that was unusual, so I thought I'd better top up the antifreeze. I keep my Major in the open cart bay in the video, so no protection from the cold.
Hello Nick
Yes, fomoco weights. Can't afford the proper ones! :cry: To attach them I stole a design off my friend Archie. I had made a 25mm thick plate with holes drilled to fit the tombstone. The plate was then drilled twice to hold prongs set at the hole centres for the fomoco weights. As you can see, they're held in place with lynch pins (two collars fit over ends of prongs once weights are in position so lynch pins can be fitted). Works a dream. Thanks Archie!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Ive just done exactly the same thing with some fomoco weights, I have got some 3/4 unf studding, would that be strong enough to support the weights? Ive got four...
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Best to have high tensile bolts -- those with at least 3 bars on the head.

Pavel