Fitting PTO to non-PTO gearbox/tractor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
frode
True Blue

Fitting PTO to non-PTO gearbox/tractor

Post by frode »

My County Crawler Mark IV (1957) does not have a PTO or 3-point hydraulics. It is set up as a dozer, and has a blade in front with its own front-mounted pump and reservoir under the seat (original Bray setup). I recently aquired a parts tractor and want to transfer the PTO and pto-shaft to the crawler while I'm doing some other work.

Is it a case of just removing the blanking plates, mounting the pto and pto-shaft, or is there some seals and other stuff inside that has to be fitted?

Regards,
Frode
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Fitting PTO to non-PTO gearbox/tractor

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hey Frode.
Nothing to drastic, If you switch over to live PTO from a single stage clutch you will have to change out the flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing assembly, front transmission, and I believe the clutch linkage almost all the way to the pedal.
The PTO itself isn't to difficult, I'm assuming your crawler has a blanking plate where the gearbox needs to be bolted to the bottom of the front transmission. I'd replace the seals in this new gearbox before its installed, you'll also have to install the linkage to engage/disengage this gearbox for the PTO. On the rearend you will have to replace the lower cover with the other one that has the hydraulic pump mounted to it. then the PTO shaft with a new seal installed can be slid in and bolted in place, then the lid can be bolted down, don't forget the hydraulic pressure line and clips that hold it in the housing, add some oil and see what happens.

Pat

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Thanks, Pat!

I'll keep it as a single clutch. Will change the seals in the pto-box before fitting it.
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Working under a crawler is a major pain the ass... how did you do it back in the days, Brian?? For example when changing oils? :-)

Have to remove the main spring for the tracks to gain access to the pto-gearbox location. This have to wait until spring when I'm painting it :-)
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Working on Crawlers... Yep, Get ye some rail road ties. Stack em at least two high. And then run er up on and send a young, agile, and skinny lad under to do the dumb work. Then you get to look and do the smart thinking when he has it apart enough for you to look and see what ever you suspect is wrong. After the smart part is done, you send the young and agile lad back under to button her up. hopefully all is well. 8) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major