Lift arm travel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

Lift arm travel

Post by porteous »

I have just bought a set of three point linkage pallet forks and have a problem. On full lower travel the lift arms are not low enough to ground the implement which can get no nearer the ground than 6",and the check chains are very tight ( The lifting pins on the implement are 700mm apart).

Spent all day getting one check chain off and freeing everything up and can't shift the other one as the front pin is seized. The supplier says these pallet forks will do a Fordson Major, but I'm not sure. Will lengthening the check chains let the lift arms drop more?

All advice gratefully received.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Lift arm travel

Post by oehrick »

If it helps any I've just checked the drawing for a 'universal' pallet fork / sawbench shifting / timber shifting / transport box frame (and possibly engine crane) I'm working on and it shows the lower link pin centres at 460mm / 18" above ground level, I probably allowed an inch from where the arms bottomed as I'm on worn tyres at present.

I've drawn up the verticals in which to mount the Cat 2 pins at 770 mm apart, to have the lift arms mount on the outside rather than inside, I think I took this dim off the old cultivator which my check chains accomodate easily.

Loosening the check chains will have very little, if any effect on this height I suspect.

My unknown is in the lift rods (the ones with the levelling box on one side) somewhere I've seen there is a soft /hard or fixed / moving option at the bottom end but mine have never been moved and are solid, the parts drawing is not helpful and IF this option is actually there, its not clear if it has any impact on the lift height...............

Any vagueness is 'cos I've not got my measurements sketch to hand and the CAD drawing is backburnered, as while helping someone clear a building he was vacating I was given an old but unused A frame quick release mount and a couple of the slaves :clap: but this needs a change of structure :scratchhead:

I hope there's a quick fix for your problem
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

sounds like the forks I bought for rusty was told ideal for a major but they aren't,although perfect for the grey menace, but for rusty my son inlaw
made up some plates to extend the height of the pins so I've got cat one at the bottom through original holes and new plate then a bolt then cat two pins on the top hole of the new plate :scratchhead: though the plate could do with a weld at the top as when lifting heavy loads the plate does bend slightly

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Porteus, hope I`m not being too obvious but on the axle there are lower the lift arms, and finally the lift arms have a pin halfway up which can be pulled to raise or lower the lift arms
I`ve recently fixed up a 3 point linkage pallet forklift having got a friend to fix the pallet forks to an old yardscraper headstock.It was made up with the forks on the ground and the rest was added without any plan and luckily it works a treat although it doesn`t lift very high without "stepping up" with empty pallets. I use it to move the sawbench mainly but it comes in useful for dumpy bags of logs and lumps of tree trunk at times.ImageImageImage
I put the splitter onto the tombstone to save keep taking it on and off.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Not sure where half the message went but just to say there are two different attachments on the axle for the link arms, two sets of holes on the link arms where they join the lift arms and pins in the lift arms to give more adjustment if you havn`t already tried it Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Daves rusty bits wrote:Not sure where half the message went but just to say there are two different attachments on the axle for the link arms, two sets of holes on the link arms where they join the lift arms and pins in the lift arms to give more adjustment if you havn`t already tried it Dave
Hi Dave
Looks like your tractor has the optional lower link mountings on the trans casing with the 2 different height mounting holes, I think they were on some countys as well, I did see a set in the wreckers on a tractor this week, was going to buy them but will still be there next spring I guess :idea: . not every major has them fitted standard, most are just a peg with a nut on to hold the arm :wink: . Also looks like your left drop arm is from an E27N that somebody has fitted at some point in time, the bottom should be the same as the winding one the other side. It's a shame your not close to me I'd swap that for an original. I'm looking for E27N drop arms or parts for a set here in Canada :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Daves rusty bits wrote:Not sure where half the message went but just to say there are two different attachments on the axle for the link arms, two sets of holes on the link arms where they join the lift arms and pins in the lift arms to give more adjustment if you havn`t already tried it Dave
I think you may have just revealed the B obvious to me Dave, my pins are currently inline with the back axle, IF I can get 'em and the rods free and insert them at 90 degrees through the slots in the casting it both alters the arm height and allows a couple of inches of vertical free movement - I was expecting springs somewhere :eyes:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Thanks chaps. I don't really want to interfere with lift arm settings that have been set where they are probably for the last 60 years, and work with my PM plough, and all the other tools I have, so will get a pair of angle iron brackets fitted by my local engineers to set the pins up a foot or so and widen the width between by a couple of inches to give me a little slack on the check chains (Making about 750mm).