Is this the oil pressure switch

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Majorlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Is this the oil pressure switch

Post by Majorlad »

If its not blue it wont do ..... seriously

Nick
True Blue

Re: Is this the oil pressure switch

Post by Nick »

With that type of oil pressure switch, I guess you have either a power major or super major?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Majorlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Majorlad »

no i have a 1954 standard major, therefore is this the wrong switch

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

There have been 3 types of oil switch electrical connections with the latest being the flat spade connector. The earliest was an eyelet on the wire end held on with a small nut. Yours is the next variation that had a female blade connector [Lucar] on the wire that slides sideways onto the brass [?] bit on the end of your switch.

Pavel

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Correct, but the earlier ones didn't have an oil light, they just had an oil pressure gauge. Ive got a 1954 major and its got a gauge, oil lights were used on the power major and super majors.
Are you sure your major is a 1954? Could it have a later engine in it, and they have transferred the dash and electrics over too? Have you got any other pics of you tractor and any casting codes? :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Nick wrote:Correct, but the earlier ones didn't have an oil light, they just had an oil pressure gauge. Ive got a 1954 major and its got a gauge, oil lights were used on the power major and super majors.
Are you sure your major is a 1954? Could it have a later engine in it, and they have transferred the dash and electrics over too? Have you got any other pics of you tractor and any casting codes? :D
Hi Nick
It looks like we are both thinking the same with this tractor somethings not right here someplace :eyes: , I think Mr Heinz has been at work again :cry: . I replied similar to you in the rebuild post lower down the forum yesterday :) .
I think we both agree it's picture and engine number / casting code time to figure this out properly what this thing is :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Majorlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Majorlad »

is it possible that the person i bought this major off had an electrical switch fitted and would the ordingary mechanical switch fit in here

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Yes the pipe fits there :) . Something tells me there is an adapter fitting screws in the block and then a banjo fitting on the end of the pressure pipe, and a banjo bolt screws in to that to hold the pipe in the block fitting. I will look at an original tractor and confirm it tomorrow its dark and -10 oc out here right now :cry: , I haven't worked on any of my mechanical gauge tractors for quite a while :| . The last ones i did were supers with just the lights on.
Regards Robert

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Majorlad wrote:is it possible that the person i bought this major off had an electrical switch fitted and would the ordingary mechanical switch fit in here
Hi
I just remembered to go look at my older Majors before it got dark here :) . I have 2 different style oil pipe fittings from the block/ pipe end.
1 is a 90 degree male/ male threaded elbow in the block then the pipe screwed on with a female nut and an olive to seal it. That tractors around 1952/3. then there is the other type that has a male/ female straight adapter with the banjo type fitting and bolt to hold the pipe on. I think thats a 55 tractor. so not sure when the fittings and pipes changed, if you want to be period correct for your restoration or working project depending what your doing.
Regards Robert

Majorlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Majorlad »

have ye any pictures, would be great help thanks