Major steering box help!!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
thestig246
True Blue

Major steering box help!!

Post by thestig246 »

Morning all loverly morning here in sunny herefordshire UK :) I have a few questions and i could do with some help with a major steering box. There seemed alot of play on the worm drive part so i thought id take it apart.. Not having done one before i ended up with loose ball bearing rolling about and flying everywhere! So im abit clueless of how many balls should go where!!?? I have come to the conclusion its 10 each on the bearings but unsure on how many go in the nut part? I have 14 at the mo not sure if i have lost any along the way :|

I also have this other piece of metal round in shape and looks like the inner part of a bearing yet i have no idea where it has come from! I hope someone can put me right may thanks :beer:
(heres some photos)
This is the part i have no idea where it came from??

"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Major steering box help!!

Post by Pavel »

The top and bottom bearing races both have 10 balls.
The steering nut, which turns the rocker shaft, has 14 balls.

Pavel

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

thanks very much :) Do you have any ideas as to where the piece goes in the top picture im lost as to where it has come from :? its doesnt seem to fitt anything?? Does anyone have any tips and trick to getting these boxes back together without a pile of balls on the floor :lol:
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Use HTB [high temperature bearing] grease to 'stick' the balls in place.
Not sure about this -- but your odd bit could be the 'roller' that goes onto the main nut assy which fits into the fork of the rocker shaft. Looks a bit rough though.

Pavel

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

Did you get it back together? The knack is to take the whole box off the tractor and hold it upside down close to you and have grease on them. It's been 30 years since I did one though. Some of the play can be sorted by taking out or putting in shims when you put the side of the box back on. Hope this helps.
If the seat is wet, sit on your hat, better to have a cool head than a wet arse