how do i road register my fordson new major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
skidz
Not Quite Blue Yet

how do i road register my fordson new major

Post by skidz »

hi would liketo register my fordson new major 1957 on road so I can get v5 logbook
previous owner didn't have log book etc but owned for round about 12 year could anyone hep me or give guidance how to do this please thanks

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: how do i road register my fordson new major

Post by oehrick »

Hi Skidz

Do you know what its registration no. was by any chance ? (old tax disc or numberplate still with it)

If so, go to the DVLA website, https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and input make and reg no, if it is already on the computer you'll need to go through the process for a new V5. (I'll not say more as the licencing rules have changed recently so may not be like when I did mine a couple of years back)

If you have the original serial number (plate on the engine side of the bulkhead in front of the battery) a call to Swansea might find a reg number from this if you find the right person.

If not you will need to look at the DVLA info for either claiming an age related plate or whatever the current equivalent of a 'Q' plate is - hopefully someone who has done this since they closed the regional DVLA offices will be along to offer advice..........
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

You can try Grace Popplewell on 01673 844990 after 6 pm very helpful there is a small charge but worth it

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

chriss wrote:You can try Grace Popplewell on 01673 844990 after 6 pm very helpful there is a small charge but worth it
Grace did my Dexta last year. She'll tell you what to do and take all the hastle out of it.

As said, if you know the original reg (if your tractor ever had one), that's a big help. If not you'll need to check out your tractor/engine numbers and cast codes to see if she's a bitsa or not. Bitsas get a Q plate.

Good luck. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

skidz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skidz »

hi thanks haven't got any number plate or tax disc but all serial numbers are there and are ok would anybody have the best number to contact Swansea as theres 100s cheers

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Skidz

Go to the Fordson Dexta site from here. Search on "Registration No" and go through the posts 'til you get to the one about tractor reg no VAX 80. There are posts on there which will point you in the best direction, which is the excellent service provided by Patrick Pawsey of the Ford and Fordson Association. I have now registered 2 tractors through this process, both without registration numbers from "birth", they now have age related plates and of course a V5.
Regards Tim

wetters
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by wetters »

Life has now got much more complex. I finally registered my Power Major in the summer this year. A supporting letter from Pat was used along with photos of the serial numbers. However there is now yet another issue. The DVLA will not register a vehicle until they are happy it is not imported or VAT is owing. My tractor had not registration plate etc. but it is assumed had been in Anglesey or North Wales most of its life.

There is a new system, slow of course, which requires a number which is usually obtained from the revenue called a NOVA number ( Notice of Vehicle Arrival) . This really applies to imported vehicles but if you don't have the old reg number you have to go through this hoop.
You can download a lengthy form from the NOVA web site, it only applies in part to tractors but is a general catch all form. Fill this in and send off to Dover when eventually a NOVA number will be issued which the DVLA will then use to issue an age related plate and log book. In all my application took about 2 1/2 months.

Best of luck !!