My super major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Old66ford
Not Quite Blue Yet

My super major

Post by Old66ford »

Finally had time this weekend to take some pictures in the daylight. Still havent had time to hook up the snowblower and try it out, and with the holidays it wont be until the new year probably. Anyways, here are some pictures of my girl.

Matt in WI
True Blue

Re: My super major

Post by Matt in WI »

Very nice SM 5000, It looks like its in great original condition. We had a local Ford dealer back in the late 60's that would pick up any old Major, paint and decal it as 5000 then sell it as such :shock: The old boy that owned the dealership was a sketchy old devil and if you ever did any business with him you had better keep both eyes on him or you could walk out with no trousers and never know it :lol: Every time I see a SM 5000 I think of that slippery old rascal. Thanks for sharing :clap:
Last edited by Matt in WI on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

What a nice tractor. All the tinworks is still straight. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I agree with Henk. Lovely tractor. It's in wonderful condition - hard to believe it's fifty years old. Hard to believe it's fifty years old in terms of its ability to fill the shoes of a modern day tractor too. Your problem with frozen condensation in the rear end says a lot about the Major. It's got very few bad habits, and even those it does have tend to be unresolved issues common to other machinery.
Thanks so much for posting these images. :beer: At the risk of being a pain, it would be great to see the snow blower attached. I think I can safely say that I shall never get the chance to connect one of these to my Major.
Love your anecdote, Matt. :D
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Old66ford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Old66ford »

Thanks, I'm quite enjoying it so far. It was previously owned by my late grandfather, and he just used to for light farm work and cutting the grass, but it is my acreage tractor, and am hoping to do some farming with it this spring. I can't wait myself to see the snowblower in action, I only had it hooked up when I loaded it on the tractor to haul it to my house. I will take a video of it, as I am expecting another 3 months of winter at least. Basically all the attachments, minus the loader arms, are homemade, and painted Ford Blue, with my grandpa's custom "WOLDBILT" markings painted on.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

What a cool grandpa. I'm even keener to see the snow blower now. A video would be great, not just of the blower but using the blade too.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice tractor. And a family heirloom besides. :D It just does not get any better that that. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

origin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by origin »

I see that you have the Robin loader just like my Major. Does your tractor have power steering? if so, I would like a few pictures of how it is hooked up.

Thanks, Tom
1962 Fordson Super Major w/ Robin FEL (6' rough cut mower)
1978 Ford LGT 165 (w/ 42" Mower, 36" Tiller, and 48" Plow)
1976 Ford LGT 165 (Parts Tractor)
1974 Ford LGT 145 (50" Mower, 42" 2 stage Blower, Sleeve Hitch, Cultivator)

Old66ford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Old66ford »

So its a Robin loader? I was kinda wondering what kind it was.
Sorry origin, I don't have power steering, I think the loader frame is right in the way. It actually looks like on mine the pitman arm was modified to be shorter and not interfere with the loader frame, is yours the same way?

Craig

origin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by origin »

Yeah, my pitman arm has been modified as well, It is a Robin Loader for sure. Mine is a little different as it has been modified with dual dump cylinders instead of the single center dump cylinder.
1962 Fordson Super Major w/ Robin FEL (6' rough cut mower)
1978 Ford LGT 165 (w/ 42" Mower, 36" Tiller, and 48" Plow)
1976 Ford LGT 165 (Parts Tractor)
1974 Ford LGT 145 (50" Mower, 42" 2 stage Blower, Sleeve Hitch, Cultivator)

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

(HI guys, I am reposting this for someone that had some questions about the US color scheme and I figured we'd use Craig's pristine example rather than posting a bunch more pictures.)

Hi

I am helping my friend research the correct paint scheme for a 1964 Fordson Super Major 5000 that was exported to the US and he is restoring it and wants to get it right. He/we are confused about the painting scheme for it and heard you might be able to help.

Here is the problem. We know that parts on the exported tractors were light colored rather than blue like the engine. What is baffling us is that we can't tell if the color of the gas tank, hood, fenders and wheels are all the same color and what color that is, whether it is Grey or Cream It also appears in some pictures we have seen that the gas tank appears Grey while the other parts I mentioned were more of a white or "cream" color, not the same color as the gas tank, which wouldn't make sense to us, but?!?!?!

Can you verify the colors as you know them to have been for export and also do you have a picture of one that shows the correct colors so we can match them up properly?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this puzzle.

OK guys, This is to the best of my knowledge.....
The grey and blue colors are the same shade on the entire tractor. The front cowling, emblem lettering, headlights, bonnet, fuel tank, upper dash, (not sure about the lower dash until I take a look), fenders, seat, wheels, weights, precleaner, and tool box are to be grey, everything else including the grill panels are blue...... but not always! My County 4 is basically identical to Craig's 5000, but my 5000 is different and I have seen other originals the same as mine, witch is basically the fenders and toolbox are blue. I'm guessing my 5000 is older than Craig's and they just hadn't completely switched over yet.
As for the exact color I may not be any help, I thought I was going to be rite on with my County4 but was sadly disappointed with the grey, it looks to white to me. And the blue is not the earlier Fordson blue, It is probably the same as the next generation 5000's. I'd recommend taking the front cowling off, clean and lightly polish a spot up on the underside and try to match something to that. If interested I can get you the PN for what I used as a reference.

Feel free to ask any questions, that's what we're here for.

Pat

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Without wishing to confuse things, was the grey/cream colour used for the north American models the same as the grey/cream colour used for the European NP Supers? I ask because I painted my wheels and I am certain that the colour I chose is wrong, so anyone looking at my wheels should not take any pointers from them.
I'll be interested to hear the answers to the question posted by Pat.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Pat,

The Part No. for the Ford paint, listed in an Australian Parts Supplement Book, is -
Tractor Blue. Part No. DKN19503C 1958-1964.
Tractor Grey, Part No. AE1ADDN 19503C 1962-1964.
(The letter 'C' only designates it was sold in a Half Gallon container. The letter 'B' is a Quart tin. Letter 'A' a Pint tin).

Prior to 1958 the Blue paint was Part No. AB8A 19503 Q6. (Q6 designates the Half Gallon container).

I have here two new mud guard park lights, never been fitted, and they are colored more of a beige than grey.

The following are the covers of two original Sales Brochures, USA printed, of the 5000 Super Major. The only thing I can notice different, is one has the headlights painted blue, and the other grey.

BarryM

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Thanks Barry, excellent references!
Id say I'm wrong about the precleaner, tool box, and seat.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they could be ether way, and These emblem on the front cowling look like they have color in them rather that the plain white of mine. I would have to guess these US blue/grey's could have several minor differences in the color combinations.
I did also look at my lower dash and it is blue.

Pat