running a major in cold weather

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
peter2
True Blue

running a major in cold weather

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

a question to the guys in the colder parts of the word:

Is there any problem with the diesel flow running a major in very cold weather?

The blow from the cooling ventilator goes around the diesel filter and pump and gives an additional cooling. We have winter diesel here (flowing up to -22°C) but in very cold conditions there are always cars that have problems at -10°C, because the flowing air cools the filter too much.
Do I get the same problem with my major? Shall I isolate the filter from the cooling air stream? May I block the radiator with card board?

I've seen a kind of "clothing" (a tarp or so) somewhere on a picture which covers the engine from the front mask to the fenders. Is there any warming effect for the driver or only cold air from the front?

Peter
1963 Super Major

frode
True Blue

Re: running a major in cold weather

Post by frode »

No problems. I would fit an electric coolant heater (Norwegian made "Defa" is very good).
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi Peter ,
are you talking about a "Sirroco" cabine?

http://www.traktorhof.com/forum/viewtop ... o&start=15

Phot is some where in the middle of the page
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

we always dump a little fuel treatment in ours to keep them from jelling up, the biggest problem is the water. early winter brings on the "just below & just above freezing" that makes everything frost up and sweat, this is guaranteed to leave a substantial amount of water in the fuel, especially if the fuel tank is mostly empty. the additive keeps this from freezing up in the fuel system.
Both the Selene and my dads major fell victim this winter before I got any additive in them. had to drag them in the shop overnight and then clean out the fuel pump bowl, get some treatment in them and then run them around for a little while to get it mixed into the system.

Pat

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

In very cold weather in the UK, 1963?, I blocked the bottom 1/3 of the radiator with cardboard. Cut the cardboard to fit,take out the chaff screens and put the cardboard in when the engine is running. The airflow will pull it close to the radiator. Watch the temperature if the engine is working hard.

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,
county654 wrote: are you talking about a "Sirroco" cabine?
something like that, yes. Without the roof, of course. :-) I think I can make one and fix it with a few magnets from old computer hard drives.

Water in the fuel is not a problem, I keep the tank full and temperatures in my workshop keep above 0°C. Winter in our region is not that hard, our heating is called "Rhine" here.
But I want to be prepared ...

Thanks,
Peter
1963 Super Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

This is how a Sirocco looks on a Major.

It works well, but your front will be warm and your back will be cold.
Even in the summer I close the shutters in front of the radiator, so it's no problem to put something in front of the radiator in the winter. Just keep checking the temp while driving.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Personally I like this approach. I prefer the Major without a cab - you're closer to the experience, which on a summer's day is hard to beat. Mind you, in snow and cold, you're a bit too close to the experience! :D Still don't like the idea of a full time cab though, so this easily demountable option would suit me very well. Beats an army greatcoat and gauntlets!
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

BearCreek Majors wrote:we always dump a little fuel treatment in ours to keep them from jelling up, the biggest problem is the water. early winter brings on the "just below & just above freezing" that makes everything frost up and sweat, this is guaranteed to leave a substantial amount of water in the fuel, especially if the fuel tank is mostly empty. the additive keeps this from freezing up in the fuel system.
Both the Selene and my dads major fell victim this winter before I got any additive in them. had to drag them in the shop overnight and then clean out the fuel pump bowl, get some treatment in them and then run them around for a little while to get it mixed into the system.

Pat
Guaranteed to leave some water in the rear too!
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Found a piture from the "Old Days"

The model is the "Comfot tractor heater" 8)
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

No problems without a cab, just have to dress acordingly. Here is my girlfriend with the county...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_9ylIigMs
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Matthias
I'm really warming (sorry about the pun! :run: ) to these shrouds that channel the engine heat to the driver. They also maintain good working engine temperature in sub zero temperatures. They make a lot of sense.
Hello Frode
Thanks for posting the video. That is a cool tractor. Looks like you are never going to get snowed in. Great to see your girlfriend getting to grips with the Ford. I have taught my daughter to drive the Major. She loves it.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Matthias, that comfort heat brings back a lot of memories. when I was working on the neighbors farm as a kid they had a JD 3010 with an almost identical unit, thankfully this one had a simple metal frame with a plastic windshield attached as we used it for spreading manure in the winter and had to run down the side road a half a mile sometimes. that tarp cab and plastic windshield was the only thing keeping me from freezing my ass off!

Pat