D series 4 cylinder

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

D series 4 cylinder

Post by 5000blues »

Just wondering what are the pros and cons of fitting a 4 cylinder industrial D series engine in a 1959 power major? Is all the hassle with the wishbone worth it for 65 hp, or would a D series 6 cylinder be a better option. Has anyone on here put the industrial 4 cylinder engine in a major, what sort of problems were there?
If the seat is wet, sit on your hat, better to have a cool head than a wet arse

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Re: D series 4 cylinder

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Yes it's straight forward, you can't swap the sump like people think... See my thread introducing myself, there's a link to my photo's of the build, nobody notices until you tell them and they've got more than enough power.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=5929

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

Thanks Fletch, what did you do with the bottom of the bell housing where the sump doesn't match up, also how did you do the 'wishbone' underneath the sump? I see you had to cut the side channel for the filter, is it still strong enough? Looks very tidy, I like the plough. I use a TSR 102 behind a 1965 5000 myself.Image

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

There is 2 holes around 7.30 and 4.30 if you imagine it on a clock if I remember correctly that I elongated the holes in the sump where they nearly line up correctly and fitted 2 x M12 nuts and bolts. I'm pretty sure the chassis rails are strong enough, I plasma cut too much away as the original filter housing was larger and when it came to getting filters I was advised to fit a spin on housing as the filters were more readily available, coincidentally there is a 6mm gap around the filter now :( I have done no end of work with it at high speed over rough terrain, the axle locked over and one front wheel off the ground etc full load on the back and front wheels in the air, no problems so far... with no extra strengthening. I Fabricated a solid Track rod using the original track rod ends that is shown on the topic. The front engine mounts I fabricated and welded them inside the chassis rails just behind the original 3 holes. As for the wishbone I used 2 of the front axle bolts which clamp the 2 half together where you adjust the tracking, and tuned the heads down in the lathe so that i could slide scaffold tube over it when I had shaped it and weld it for extra strength. I made a cradle under the rear of the sump behind the well with a pivot made of 2 plates with a hole in and a gap between them for the wishbone to fit between and bolted that to the side rails. The attached the cradle and the wishbone with a pin to create a trunion type pivot. It's hard to explain so i'll take some pictures for you when I go up the farm next.

Cheers

Ford 4100 Bubble Cab

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

This is just a quick drawing of it the wishbone fabrication (poor attempt I know) but you should get the jist of it and also the track rod I fabricated

Cheers

Ford 4100 Bubble Cab

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

Thanks again. I presume the old block and the D series are the same length, is there a longer stroke or wider bore on the D series? I suppose what I'm asking is where did the extra power (18hp?) come from? It seems a bit easier to get a 4 cylinder D series engine from a generator etc than a good used major tractor engine.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

5000blues wrote:Thanks again. I presume the old block and the D series are the same length, is there a longer stroke or wider bore on the D series? I suppose what I'm asking is where did the extra power (18hp?) come from? It seems a bit easier to get a 4 cylinder D series engine from a generator etc than a good used major tractor engine.
Stroke is the same, 115mm. They came in two bore sizes, 105mm for the 242 CID and 107mm for the 254CID.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Here you go sorry it's took so long here's a couple of videos with a bit of it in and hopefully these photo's will help you...

http://youtu.be/zuPh1LUAAJM
http://youtu.be/GvUMsCJmBR0

You will need to make up a bottom hose similar to this

Cheers :)

Ford 4100 Bubble Cab