PTO question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
county654
True Blue

PTO question

Post by county654 »

Hallo,
I am going to rebulid a New Performance I bought without a pto shaft.
There cold be two major problems: I probably will not be able to find a NP typ shaft, bearing and attatchment plate here in Germany. Fordson breakers are not existing :(
Second, the tractor has a Selene type gearbox for the 4wd installed. So the shaft hast to be about 2 inches longer.

Is there a possibility to take the Super Major pto, including raised pto off my other tractor to use it on the NP?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: PTO question

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Matthias
They changed the gearing of the NP Super, both travel gears and the PTO gearing. The cog on the hydraulic pump and the cog that it mates with on the PTO shaft are therefore different from the equivalent cogs on the Super. The driven cog on your NP Super hydraulic pump won't therefore mate properly with the drive cog on a Super PTO shaft. If you could locate a NP Super drive cog, you could swap it for the cog on your Super PTO shaft. There are breakers here in the UK who might be able to supply the cog in question and it's small enough to post.
Re the length of the shaft, I imagine you could cut and join an extra section to get the required length.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Thank you Adrian,

how about the front part of the pto shaft, will it fit properly into the pto dropbox?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Matthias
Here are a couple of photos that may be helpful.
I can't see any reason why the setup would be different on the Selene NP Super, so, yes, the front end of the PTO shaft, a splined female coupling, will mate with the splined male coupling in the PTO housing slung under the gearbox (please see second photo).
ps Photos seem to be cropped on my screen. :scratchhead: Hope they are fully visible on yours. :D

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Thank you Adrian,
the pics seem to be ok, I think I know how I can replace the pto :beer:
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Good luck Matthias. Any chance of some photos? Would be great to see your Majors and what you use them for. Would you say the Major is a rare tractor in Germany?

Capt. Bill
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Capt. Bill »

I have a 1969 5000 series diesel tractor. The PTO shaft continues to drift (keeps turning slowly) even with the PTO disengaged. How do I adjust the PTO brake?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Bill,

You cannot adjust the brake on that model, pto turning was a pretty common problem and was not solved until the introduction of a band brake system and different hub on later tractors. If you can stop the PTO by applying pressure on it with a piece of wood it is OK, if you cannot stop it however the plates are warped in the clutch and you will need to remove the lift, and if you have Dual Power, split the tractor at the rea section to get the clutch pack out.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

there is an extension on the pto-shaft to make it longer. inside/outside spline. You use an orginial NP shaft. I guess you could use the extension from an older tractor to make it work. I have a shaft for you, but you will need to replace the bearing and seal.
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR