new performance engine

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
woodcutter
True Blue

new performance engine

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all, ive got the chance of a new performance major 1964 and I haven't seen it yet but before I go and look, I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice what to look for? what engine number should it start with and any other signs it's original :? as I have a super already what differences are there between them to look for cheers in advance :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: new performance engine

Post by Brian »

New performance came out in July 1963, 08C960337 onwards.

New Performance will be 55 hp. Most differences in the engine were internal like valves and springs, external it should have a Minimec pump, should have "FL" on the cylinder head near number 1 injector

Should have a hydraulic top cover like this with long bodied PR Valve and a drop flow restricter.

The Draft Rocker should look like this:

Not like this one.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

So if it hasn't got alloy flow restrictor, and no fl head do you think it's a super major dressed as a n/p :D I've already got one bitsa, I don't want to buy another one cheers

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Could have an "FL" head as this was fitted to the last of the Orange wheeled Supers along with a Minimec pump. The give-a-way is the flow restricter, the top link rocker and the engine number.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Cheers Brian, I'm going to go look tomorrow il post some pics if I buy fingers crossed its a proper one :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

woodcutter wrote:Cheers Brian, I'm going to go look tomorrow il post some pics if I buy fingers crossed its a proper one :D
Hi Woodcutter
if my thinking is correct and it's an original NPSM it should have 540 pto at 1500 rpm marked on the rev counter if it's got the original clock fitted still. the SM would be 540, at 1200 rpm and be marked for raised pto unit at 1600 rpm.
If you got a SM already go look at the pto drive casting under the gearbox. The rounded flange/bulge with the drain plug in should be about 3/4" deep all round it's half moon shape. on a NPSM that flange is about 1 3/4 -2" deep at a guess. The NPSM had a bigger gear in the bottom so the casting was altered to suit that larger gear. i checked my 62 and 64 again today for the difference in size and it's right. Mine are semi berried in snow, so couldn't get under to read the casting numbers on that pto drive, But I do know they have different part no's. We had this discussion here a few years ago and I checked that then for the guy.
I hope that may help you as well, The hyd top or that top link bracket or even the head could have been swapped, It's not uncommon, in the fordson world.

I saw a super major tractor on ebay was supposed to be the best restored out there, the price said it was anyway :wink: . it wasn't even close to accurate with how much of it wasn't super major, it never got a bid or re appeared after either :eyes: :run: . if we had a picture of it here, there would of been a prize for the person spotting the most inaccuracy's :lol: .
I guess as you already got a Heinz 58th variety, I can see why you want to be careful now, if you think it's a real mutt casting codes tell a story as well.
Good luck and keep us updated :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

new performance should have "fomoco" inside a little oval on each of the main castings in raised letters - ie engine block, gearbox, pto dropbox, axle trumpets, back end etc even wheelweights, exhaust manifold & waterpump have the "fomoco". Interestingly the rear wings seemed to keep the enfo script pressed at the bottoms.
all other fordsons have the enfo script in the castings.
Its a quick way to check all the bits are new performance, without checking date codes you wont know if they are the original parts.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Been to see it and it's very nice and tidy and using the information you gave me 8) it looks very original even has the original clocks which are all working it has been painted at some point in its life but done very nice with good tyres, light's etc all works ready to go including log book, what would you think that its worth in £ :?:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Mine's a September 63 NP Super. Interestingly all of the castings have the oval Fomoco emblem apart from the rear axle housing, which is enfo. The casting date is right and the axle trumpets bolted to it are Fomoco.
What's it worth? Depends! Depends on how much you want it, what you plan to do yourself, whether you cost your time, ......
I paid £900 for this four years ago. One in a similar state went for £1,200 a couple of months ago on eBay.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Mine is a september 63 NP super and FOMOCO is cast on all the parts except the the back axle which is ENFO just like Adrian's . Liam.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

AdrianNPMajor wrote:Mine's a September 63 NP Super. Interestingly all of the castings have the oval Fomoco emblem apart from the rear axle housing, which is enfo. The casting date is right and the axle trumpets bolted to it are Fomoco.
What's it worth? Depends! Depends on how much you want it, what you plan to do yourself, whether you cost your time, ......
I paid £900 for this four years ago. One in a similar state went for £1,200 a couple of months ago on eBay.

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
wow that is a serious project that would be to much for me to take on :D im guessing that is going to cost a lot in time and money :?:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

£300 engine rebuild kit
£70 new oil pump
£175 injector pump refurb
£150 starter motor and generator rebuild
£700 new tyres and tubes
£100 replacement drop arms
£200 sundry items (gearbox bearings, lift pump, etc)
I think that's it. :scratchhead: Add in the purchase price of the tractor and it must total somewhere approaching £3,000. :yikes: :cry:
The thing is, though, the tractor is back to its former glory and can now take on any job it was originally designed for, and a few that it wasn't, such as driving a power harrow.
For a lot of us this is our hobby. It's not really the most expensive one in the world, especially when you consider that we can sell our Majors :nono: :rulez: and recoup some of the outlay. :D
Did you buy the tractor? If so, any chance of some pictures?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Yeah I have bought it I haven't picked it up yet but when I do il post some pics , have you started that project yet Adrian :?:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

All done. Took about six months. Video below shows the end result.
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaQlWlNVTw

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

looks like she going well 8) will you paint it, or go for the oily rag look :?:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I'm beginning to think I should do both. Paint it, then carry on using it, letting the paint job take the usual wear and tear, just as what happened when it started out in life.
How's the tinwork on your new tractor? Is it in good condition?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/woodc ... g.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
There she is drove her home about a 10mile trip all round sorry picture not the best the weather turned a bit nasty and not much room in shed, not very fast but I don't think the 14/30 tyres helped but otherwise all went well :D and it's been a local tractor since 1967 , the man I bought it off owns a engineering firm and have known him a while he has two of these for sale the other one is going to tractor world Malvern auction, when the weather brightens up il get some better pics

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You got mud on the tyres! :yikes: :yikes: What a way to treat a new tractor :cry: :cry:

She looks a real beauty, I never seem to find one like that in my price range. :clap:
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice! :beer: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I had to try her out and the ground is very wet :) I was going to buy a project tractor but this came up and I couldn't say no, plus I haven't really got the time or the workshop for a big project :cry: thanks for all the help to everyone who helped me in checking her out

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Very nice. :clap: