Flywheel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Flywheel

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Rather than hijacking Grani's thread about 590E engines I will start another thread, but along similar lines.

When I rebuilt my "dump" motor, I noticed that the flywheel had 510E cast into it. I always thought that a 510E was a 6cyl Thames Trader engine
I've checked the numbers on the flywheel and here they are

E1ADDN 510E 6380
15 4 P (which I read as 15 Dec 64)
FOMOCO

The engine is 25 3 66 (25 March 66)

Obviovsly the flywheel on this engine is not the original, but I thought E1A was tractor, but 510E was a 6 cyl truck engine

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is there difference between the truck and tractor flywheels?
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I think the flywheels are the same. As I have understand the Fords partnumbers system it works the way that a given number for a part is not changed later on if the same part is used in som other engine.
I have several E1ADDN marks in my Trader endines as well.
The only difference in flywheels that I know is that on an old engine the wheel had two possible positions on the crankshaft and the timingmarks are missing. Brian knows more.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

flywheel

Post by BarryM »

Kev,

The 510E shows in the August 1963 Price List as 100BHP at 2500RPM for the replacement or conversion of truck engines ONLY. It was priced at 648 POUND AUS.

I would have thought the truck Flywheel would have been quite abit lighter than the tractor version.

Also, for interest sake, the 590E shows in the same Price List as 86.5BHP at 2250RPM. Recommended for Industrial and Pumping purposes. And priced at 612 POUND AUS.

As well some Flywheels on Super Majors had a number prefix other than E1ADDN.
BarryM