Diaphragm

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
chriss
True Blue

Diaphragm

Post by chriss »

Got a feeling rusty' diaphragm has spit started up today and couldn't stop it revving tried cleaning the filter on the top of the pump but made no difference now do I need to take the pump off to replace the diaphragm

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Diaphragm

Post by Emiel »

Hi Chriss,

From memory; just take off the air pressure pipes, undo the bolts of the over and take the diaphragm out. It's quite self explaining.

Removing the pump only brings the risk of getting dirt in sensitive parts imho.

Rgds
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

Thanks Emiel it just looked like one of the bolts was a bit of o job to get to but will have a go tomorrow, If it's not too cold :thumbs:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Chris
As Emiel says, you can remove the diaphragm housing without taking the pump off. However, the bottom bolt at the rear is a s*d to get at. :stress: It was a while ago, but I think I got at it by using the flexible drive extension from a 1/4 socket set. As it's so awkward to get at, I found it easiest to remove it first, and replace it last, so at least you haven't got the housing moving around on you as you fiddle with the almost out of reach bolt. :D
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

Job done took one off spare pump as said one bolt a bit of a job, but what a difference well pleased :D