Rear lights - 1953 New Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

Rear lights - 1953 New Major

Post by porteous »

My tractor was built in September 1953 when, I believe , UK lighting regulations for tractors were changed to include rear lights where lights were fitted to a tractor, instead of just head and side lights.

The rear lights on my tractor look original and there is no sign that they are a more recent addition. I believe they are possibly of a type fitted as a "stop gap" while the factory sourced an approved rear light for FMs. (see attached photo)

I cannot find any evidence for this, but hope there is someone on the forum with a bit more knowledge than me.

Thanks

ImageDSCF0003 by CraigWales, on Flickr
Last edited by porteous on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Rear lights - 1953 New Major

Post by Brian »

Picture is a bit small to see clearly but they look like after-market lights that have been added much later. The standard tail light was a single lens and plug for the plough light right up to October 1954 when the square tail light on the stalk riveted to the mudguard was introduced. We had a new Major in 1954 which still had the single tail light.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

As a matter of interest where did you get the chain for the link arms ? So much nicer than the bit of rope more commonly used to keep the arms from moving too much.
Regards
Laurie

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hey Laurie, I thought the chain looked nice when the pic was first posted, I also wondered if (due to the apparent lack of catenary curve) it was either pulled up tight on the check chains OR if it was a bit of chain that had its links welded while in a straight line - put me out of my misery porteus, which is it ?? :scratchhead:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

oehrick wrote:Hey Laurie, I thought the chain looked nice when the pic was first posted, I also wondered if (due to the apparent lack of catenary curve) it was either pulled up tight on the check chains OR if it was a bit of chain that had its links welded while in a straight line - put me out of my misery porteus, which is it ?? :scratchhead:
Hi
looks to me from my trip to Flicker and bigger images :wink: . It's a purpose built chain with proper linkage pins and clips to hold it in the arm balls, and the chech chains are tight :) I'm guessing the company that makes the top link carrier brackets for majors produces it, or someone like sparex or who ever for any tractor :idea: . If they don't and he custom made it himself ,There is a market for it :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

The chain came with the tractor. I bought it from a collector who also had a haulage firm and I suspect they might have fabricated the link arm chain in their workshop. It is simple but effective. If anyone wants more photos I'll post some. Let me know