Help me find out what year my tractor is please.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Help me find out what year my tractor is please.

Post by lwright »

I finally found some serial numbers stamped in the block
They read 1426564
These numbers are stamped above where the fuel injector pump is located on the right hand side.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!
Larry

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It is 22 April 1957 if I have calculated it right. The 22 is not accurate but close.

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

Grani wrote:It is 22 April 1957 if I have calculated it right. The 22 is not accurate but close.
1957 is close enough for me!

Thanks,
Larry

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

After you posted your serial number, I looked at your pictures. I guess you don't have a Power Major after all. Looks like she's a '57 Major with a Power Major hood. After 51 years, there aren't many with all their original parts.

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

JC wrote:After you posted your serial number, I looked at your pictures. I guess you don't have a Power Major after all. Looks like she's a '57 Major with a Power Major hood. After 51 years, there aren't many with all their original parts.
Now I'm heart broken after hearing this....
After all these years I thought it was a power major??

How can you tell the diffirence?
What are the major diffirences?
Anyone else here think it's not a Power Major too?
http://www.pbase.com/wrightsphoto/fordson

Thanks,
Larry

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

lwright wrote:
JC wrote:After you posted your serial number, I looked at your pictures. I guess you don't have a Power Major after all. Looks like she's a '57 Major with a Power Major hood. After 51 years, there aren't many with all their original parts.
Now I'm heart broken after hearing this....
After all these years I thought it was a power major??

How can you tell the diffirence?
What are the major diffirences?
Anyone else here think it's not a Power Major too?
http://www.pbase.com/wrightsphoto/fordson

Thanks,
Larry
The Power Majors has serialnumbers 148101091 to 1575885 and at date 9/58 to 10/60 and yours is a little too old, zorry :cry: There is a chance though if the engine is taken from an older. You can look at the casting codes of the gearbox and other parts.
In some cases the firewall has a plate with a serialnumber and it should be the same as on the engine.
Here is a list of changes.

http://www.warthog.demon.co.uk/fordson%20major.htm

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Larry,

Sorry to hear you are a bit disappointed about the Power Major.
It's easy to tell whether you have a New Major or a Power Major. Just look at the clocks and the throttle. If they under the steering wheel you have a Power. If not you have the New. When the rear end has disc brakes and the clocks are under the steering wheel you have a super.
Now what's left is to find out if the rods from the throttle is going in front of the engine or through the engine itself. Going through is the first engine until April 1957 and in front is the same engine as from the Power. Fingers crossed if you are going to look.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Larry,

I took another look at your pictures and yours has the throttle in front of the engine. So it must be the new modifide engine that was also used in 1958 in the Power Major until the Super came along. The first number for the modifide engine was 1425097. So it has a bit of Power blood it.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

henk wrote:Hello Larry,

I took another look at your pictures and yours has the throttle in front of the engine. So it must be the new modifide engine that was also used in 1958 in the Power Major until the Super came along. The first number for the modifide engine was 1425097. So it has a bit of Power blood it.

Thanks for the great info!
I am lost when it comes to these tractors but I am learning a great deal from this group!
Thanks to everyone who has helped me, I hope I can learn enough where I might can be help to someone.

Thanks again,
Larry

JC

Post by JC »

Larry,
Don't feel too bad about your Major not being all original.
I have a 1960 Power Major with a Super hood and a Mark 1 head, and a Mark 2 Major with an early Mark 1 injector pump. I think 1419947 is all original, except for the alternator, wiring harness, and steering wheel. I'll bet lots of members of this BB have Majors that aren't all original, or at least they weren't when they first got them.

js
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by js »