Water in motor!!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Water in motor!!

Post by relick »

I stuffed up!! :oops:
With heavy rain coming and the Fordson in the paddock i put a tin over the exhaust. Unfortunately it did not cover the now discovered hole in the top of the muffler.

Result is i believe a couple of cylinders full of water.

I am thinking that i will pull the injectors and see what i can suck out, any thoughts??
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Re: Water in motor!!

Post by Stu_Fletch »

The easiest way is to remove all injectors and turn it over 2 revolutions 1st by hand and then on the starter, (it may be an idea to keep some paper towel around the head to catch the expelled water to stop it going into the sump, just make sure it doesn't get sucked back into the combustion chamber when winding it over on the starter motor) this will remove any water that is likely to do any damage, refit the injectors and start her up. Also the easiest way to check if there's any water in the sump is to remove the sump plug and the water will come out 1st as it will sit at the bottom :)

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

My Major has a small hole drilled into the bottom of the bend coming out of the manifold. Stops water accumulating.

Pavel

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

Thanks, I pulled the injectors and drained to sump, got it back together and running, BUT.............

After I had it all back together I found a copper washer on the ground, I was sure that all the injectors had a washer on when they went back in.

I pulled them all out again and yep, copper washer on each. The washer I found is slightly larger then the one at the base of the injector and there is a clear mark of the smaller diameter on the larger washer.

Obviously there was a washer at the base of each injector hole and they were blown out when I was cranking the motor to clear the water. Now I am worried the the other washers have gone into the motor as I couldnt find them. I am hoping that being copper they wont cause any dramas and will end up sitting in the bottom of the sump.

Can anyone tell me if there should be a washer on the injector and another in the hole??
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Well done, have you had it running yet? Maybe somebody has put it there for a reason, maybe somebody thought they had lost it and fitted another... who knows!

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Pav,

Is this the outlet on your tractor? If so, it was only fitted to Australian tractors. The pair of ears at the top were to secure the Spark Arrestor. It was done to meet the Country Fire Authority Act.

BarryM

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

No, Barry, it hasn't even got the plug -- just a wee hole.

Pavel