New Performance SM - Lift arms gone up and stays there

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
frode
True Blue

New Performance SM - Lift arms gone up and stays there

Post by frode »

Hi there,

Working on the Super-4. Hydraulic lift goes up and stays there, even with quadrant lever in bottom position. Aux-valve is not pulled out. I can hear a clicking sound when turning the engine over with starter (pto engaged). Lift has been sitting for ~5 years. Stuck control valve?
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: New Performance SM - Lift arms gone up and stays there

Post by Brian »

Stuck unload valve is usually the answer. Draw it out like this

Rather than knocking the valve and plug out from the back. It will bend the valve stem causing it to stick more often.

There are two types of valve seal, one is an "O" ring, one is a metal piston seal. If you have an "O" ring only replace it with one from a Ford dealer as they are made of a special rubber. If you have a metal one, grease it and guide it back into the bush with a couple of fine screw drivers being careful not to break it.

Note: some of the above pictures are of a Dexta ram cylinder but the same applies to the Super Major.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Thank you Brian!

I forgot to say, it lifts whatever the quadrant position is. The control valve was stuck - I got it working.

I also fitted a double aux-valve from a Force 4000. Works good too - I have oil on all outputs, and the lift is working. :-)

Frode
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is good news Frode, yours is the exception to the rule, in 98% of the problems you experienced it is the unload valve and the lift goes up and will not come down no matter where you put the quadrant lever. It was one of two things and the top would have to come off for either. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian